Rabbit Poop As Fertilizer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, people do. I know of a few that use it in their gardens as fertilizer. I believe you have to let it compost for a while? I'm not sure. I would Google it.

I use it. The poops I let soak in water for a few days, and then pour the resulting "poo tea" on the plants, and put the mush left over from the soaked poo right on my plants. I also have a vermicomposting bin, which uses worms to eat waste. I sometimes put the whole litterbox contents (poo, urine-soaked sawdust/remnants of wood pellets, hay) into this bin, along with all my household compostables. This sits for a couple of weeks with regular turning and makes a nice compost. You can also put it directly on plants.

Here's our library article on it: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33143&forum_id=17

Edit: I've also seen people selling it on craigslist for others to use as fertilizer.

Nice topic! And wonderful advice, Tonyshuman!

I'm going to utilize this info when we buy a house (which might be a couple years away, but still). :)

We use the rabbit poop all over the gardens! I have several organic farmers order it and wait til I have a lot and take it away in 55 gallon drums. They LOVE it. No, it does not have to hot compost like other manure. It is considered a sweet manure,practically ready to use, it does not burn roots.

It has a composition of 2.4% Nitrogen, 1.4% Phosphoric Acid and 0.6% Potash. It's the most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form. I use it around all my evergreens, fruit trees, and flower gardens. Once it dries, it has almost no smell. (A local guy used a combination of our rabbit manure to raise a record breaking "green gourd" (looks like a green pumpkin). It was over 600 lbs.!)

And you should see the tomatoes the neighbor grows with it!

Edited to add: I don't sell it... I'm so happy that someone wants to cart it away for me!

Quick question: Do you have to separate the poop from the litter (depending on litter type)? Which litters are OK to use as compost? I use Yesterday's News, so that probably isn't a good compost one (I read Claire composts her wood pellets with the poo).

great fertilizer,scoop it up,sell it by volume or pound,no trash,hay or litter,does not need to compost to sell,to much applied at once can burn plants,friend makes a tad over 5 grand a year on selling her bunny poop.

Yesterdays News composts really well... no problem there! I use kiln dried wood shavings and the farmers love it, they say it aerates the soil...

There is a woman on Craigs list that sells it for $3.00 for a (50#) feed bag full... people just line up with their car trunks open and load up! Helps with the feed bill.

Latest posts

Back