Allergy friendly hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently started to show symptoms that I am allergic to something and I think it is my rabbit hay I have started to respond to. So I wonder if there is any good hay variety that I can give my rabbit that will not give me a strong allergic reaction.

The hay I recently bought it's great and my rabbit loves it and his stomach have never been better. Downside it's my reaction to it. So I need some tips on other hay, which are great for the rabbit.

We switched from Timothy to Orchard Grass. Had to use rubber gloves and a dust mask before.

I know I'm not allergic to timothy hay but my rabbit dosen't like that hay and he's droppings get small when he eats it, maybe should try orchard grass.

Don't know what hay I have because I got it from a farm nearby.

But thanks for the tip :3

Try different varieties until you find one your bun likes. I recommend Small Pet Select as they mail the hay to you, you can choose variety packs and they are just really hay knowledgeable.

You could also try a later cutting of whatever hay you got before. I am deathly allergic to Timothy Hay but I had bought first cutting hay from our feedstore. I read on this forum that first cutting has the most pollen. So I ordered third cutting from SPS. Wow! I get no allergy attack at all, as long as I keep it covered, and if I do dig around in it I just get sniffly, not on the floor wheezing like the first cutting used to.

Good luck!!

Like whiterabbitrage said, sometimes it can just be the maturity/cutting of the hay that you get. I feed my rabbits timothy, but I bought this one bale of timothy once that was a mature cutting and coarser hay, that must have been loaded with pollen cause I would sneeze when I started to mess with it at all. The timothy I have now has less developed seed heads, medium coarse, and not as mature a cut, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Are people typically allergic to timothy but not orchard? or can it be the other way around?
I've been reacting to something and I brought home orchard grass last week thinking I might be allergic to timothy, but now I wonder if it's the other way around.
I'm very allergic to ryegrass.. don't know if this matters.

Latest posts

Back