small cut on paw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea123

Reaction score
So tonight I went to take her out to clean out her cage, and noticed little tiny drops of blood. I also noticed top of her white nose looked smudged with blood. Upon further notice I saw she was licking her front right paw a lot and saw a small cut. Its not bleeding a lot but is pink.

I have a Dutch rabbit so the pink stands out quite well on her white paws. She doesn't seem to be limping and she is still jumping around her cage from top to bottom of her XL size dog kennel cage. she is still eating and doing her regular bunny stuff.

I couldn't see anything that could possibly have cause her to cut herself. Her nails are trimmed enough. In fact its another month or so before I take her to the groomer again. I am too nervous to do it myself !!!

I did remove a wooden toy from her cage that had been bitten and had sharp wood edges and wondered if she possibly got hurt on that. Needless to say I removed that REAL fast!

Has anyone had this happen to their buns before? It doesn't look to be a deep cut from what I can see. It must have only happened in the last couple of hours cause she was fine up to just after supper as my son and I opened her cage to get some bunny love. It wasn't til around 9pm tonight when I took her out of her cage that I noticed a little pink smudge of blood on her nose where she has been licking it and trying to ease it herself. It must be hurting her cause she is licking it a bit. But its not bleeding anymore. But my poor Nibbles now has a pink face and nose instead of her beautiful pure white :(

Would something like a small cut like hers heal on its own? Rabbits in the wild get scratched all the time I would imagine and would heal............ I'll be keeping an eye on her over the next 24 hours all the same. I was thinking of maybe taking her to the groomers tomorrow to see if maybe it was a back claw as Nibbles won't let me hold her paws on a good day let alone a bad day like tonight :(

here is the best shot I could get of her.. She won't stop moving! LOL each time I try to zoom in she moves!

Take a close look at the furthest back paw at the little cut there..... I thought maybe could it have been a broken nail, but I am not seeing any nail pieces in her cage. Poor little face is pink tinge instead of pure white. She looks like she was through a war :(

IMG_7401.JPG

I just went back to her cage and look what I found!!! It WAS a broken nail! looks like the whole thing! I tried to clean her foot but she had no plan in letting me .. in fact she scratched me up something nasty on my arms and wrists. But I gave her a couple treats to let her know I still loved her. I hope she will be okay........ this is the first time this has ever happened. There is nothing in her cage for her to get snagged up on..... so at a loss.. :( The carpet is not one she could get hitched up on so I don't know what else it could be.

IMG_7402.JPG

So long as she is not still bleeding, and it stays clean, she should be ok. I'd keep her cage/ area SUPER clean for a week or two, and if there is any sign of infection (pus, smelly, not healing) take her to the vet. Sometimes, pets are just rambunctious and do silly things to hurt themselves. :p I wouldn't worry that you did something wrong or anything-- probably just a bunny doing things to cause us stress. :)

I have had it happen a few times with my buns. One did it himself digging in his cardboard box. All of them have healed fine on their own. I would just pay a little more attention to her just in the very off chance she would get an infection.

Latest posts

Back