First time bunny owner with questions for the experienced. Pix!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taliarenew

Reaction score
I bought a bunny from my local farm supply store. They had different sizes in different cages, all unlabeled and employees having no information. Some were clearly small lion head types and some were obvious new Zealand bunnies. I've sexed my bunny with the help of Google, he's a male. Doing great with litter training, relatively tame. He's brownish, Sandy or fawn with a couple white spots. Approximately 5lbs (wouldn't stay on scale) and no clue on age but a new arrival to the store as I have gone there fairly often.

--What size should I expect him to be if he isn't full grown and can his breed be identified?
---Any thing I missed in his 4ft x 4ft setup?

IMG_20180102_100809599.jpg

IMG_20180102_095939502.jpg

Couldn't edit to add a little more information... I've had him 3 days today and still need a name.

Looks like a nice little set-up. He looks quite relaxed. Not sure how thick the plastic is on the floor (under the fleece) but be careful he might chew through it. You can always switch to a piece of rolled linoleum to protect the carpet if need be.

Those particular white parts on him mean he's vienna marked, but doesn't necessarily mean he has dutch breeding, though it is possible. He also has pretty large ears, and if he is young and as large as he is now, this could mean he has some flemish giant in him, which will mean he could end up being 10 plus lbs. Also, farm stores usually only have young rabbits for sale, so another indication that he is likely a young rabbit and will continue to grow. So at 5 lbs now, you can imagine that this could mean he'll end up being a pretty big boy. But no way to really know for sure. Just a matter of seeing if he continues to grow and gain weight over the next few months.

Set up looks good to me.

Thank you all for the responses and advice. I'll definitely look into a better cover for my carpet like linoleum as mentioned.

I think he looks a lot like the Kaytee fiesta rabbit food model. Big ears, medium to short whiskers, round head...
I wonder what kind of bunny the model is.

Screenshot_20180103-060535.jpg

Time will tell. He's a mix, but no way to figure it. All of ours are rescues so we don't have any back story and the shelters usually think they are all male--NOT! We got one that was very skinny but of good size. Told he was an English Spot and full grown. She was a Checkered Giant and grew to be 20 pounds--the biggest bunny we ever saw, and such a sweety.

New Zealand’s are typically about 70days and 5lbs at their shows. He looks older than 2 mos but honestly it’s hard to tell the age of rabbits. I would say maybe he’ll max at about 8-10pounds?

As far as breed he looks like just a mix. His color is called Vienna Marked Chestnut Agouti

Such a cutie! Looks young to me. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear about his antics. When are you getting him fixed?

There's a waiting list at a local volunteer clinic that spays and neuters for about $35. I am taking my bunny and this neighborhood stray porch dwelling cat that runs inside my house every time I open my door to both be neutered in 4 months.

New Zealand’s are typically about 70days and 5lbs at their shows. He looks older than 2 mos but honestly it’s hard to tell the age of rabbits. I would say maybe he’ll max at about 8-10pounds?

As far as breed he looks like just a mix. His color is called Vienna Marked Chestnut Agouti

I do hope he'll max at 8 to 10lbs. Good news. When I seen a reply that said he may be a Flemish mix by looks and could potentially get to be a big boy I was a little worried honestly.

I do hope he'll max at 8 to 10lbs. Good news. When I seen a reply that said he may be a Flemish mix by looks and could potentially get to be a big boy I was a little worried honestly.

Yea his ears are big but not Flemish baby big they’re in the right proportion to his head. His age throws me off because he looks like he already has a matured buck head. I’m not sure what to make of his age

Latest posts

Back