Searching for my first Rabbit~~~

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear628

Reaction score
Hi all bunny parents =D, I'm waiting to become one myself~~! >.< I am planning to adopt my frist bunny after the christmas holiday and have been searching many rescues to find the rit one while i learn more about caring for them.

If anyone know of any potential rescue rabbits, plz plz plz let me know >.<~!!! I'm hoping to find a young male that hopefully enjoys being held =D

In addition, please feel free to provide me with any useful tips on pet rabbits =D

Thanks all ^^!

I don't live in Canada so I don't know any rescues there, but I wish you luck! =)

Most buns don't like being picked up, you'll probably have to work with one =P

All of my buns hate it, but I've been working with the two smaller ones, and they tolerate it now. I'm currently working with my flemish to get him used to it =)

Ummm... my useful tips are..Why young? =) Age shouldn't matter, buns live 10 years +!

And... bonded pairs do good too =) Buns are very social.

And... make sure your pellets are boring looking! Corn and stuff that they put in some pellets are bad for them!

And.. hay is a must, usually timothy hay.. alfalfa hay only when they're young =) 6 months and down.

If you know any of this stuff already, I'm sorry! =P Just basic tips.

Green veggies are good for them too (there's a list somewhere on the forum)... =P

I dunno what else =) If you have any questions, you can PM me =D

bear628 wrote:
Thanks for ur tips^^ I'll keep them in mind I'm sure I'll have alot of questions once I adopt my bunny, hope I don't cram ur pm box :p

You're welcome!

That's quite alright if you do =]
I love helping people to the best of my ability, and I love getting messages! =]

Hi~ I'm wondering at what age does rabbits learn the fastest? As in after what age is it hard to teach them new tricks and/or let a rabbit get use to new things?

Hi, welcome to RO :).

Its easiest to get younger rabbits accustomed to new things (including being held/cuddled)but the temperament of the rabbit is also important.

Going to a rescue, you should be allowed to meet all of the rabbits needing homes so you can decide which bun is the one for you. If you are not sure, it's possible a bun might chose you in a way :hearts.

Jo xx

Thanks =) if i want to introduce my rabbit to use to travelling what age will be better? is it better to start young? ( I understand that they usually get stressed out from travelling, thus, i'll try to keep it to min., however to minimize the stress I'm hoping to introduce it to the rabbit slowly while young.)

All of my bunnies we start transporting to shows when they become two pounds. Its nice to get them used to it early. Long travels arent the best because buns begin to create vices like chewing on cages and scratching the sides. They do get stressed but the more you do it in a positive manner the more they get used to it. I have had my little britannia since he was a junior at the ARBA convention. He travels home with me every weekend and its not that bad of a drive for him anymore now as he is a year old.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome to RO!

I would start with a young bunny, you both can bond to each other.

I got Sweetie when she was 6 weeks old and she and I are bonded, she is my heart bunny. Depending on the breed, rabbits can live from 5 years to 10 or more years. Dwarf breeds live to be 10+ years.

May I suggest getting a lionhead or lionhead mix, they are easy to train. My lionhead mix, Sweetie, knows "stay" pretty well. I am working on "come" with her. I want her to be my service rabbit, help me with my anxiety and keep my headaches down.

I would get a mix breed rabbit, would have less problems than a purebred in my experience.

I hope that you have a wonderful time here. Everyone is so nice and helpful!

I am not sure that age really makes a huge difference with training a rabbit. I have trained an almost 4yo to do agility and he does just as well as those who have done it from a young age. An older rabbit may be a bit more set in its ways, but it can still learn. Some rabbits take longer to learn or to warm up to something than others and it has a lot more to do with the personality of the rabbit than age.
Starting young is a good idea. Remember that young rabbits don't have long attention spans, so keep training sessions short. For getting them used to travel, start with getting it used to the carrier, then the car, then moving in the car and finally a new area. It will seem more normal to the rabbit to go places when you start young, but you can still do it with an older rabbit.

Hi,
Welcome to the wonderful world of rabbits. This type of critter needs a patient type of pet owner. My husband and I always bought baby bunnies. This time around we went to a shelter and found a 2 year old we call Bob. OMG, he's the best!
He cuddled with me the moment I picked him up. I really feel it's the luck of the draw when finding the perfect bun.
Take the time you need to bond and discover the best owner-pet fit.

Latest posts

Back