Using litter and droppings as compost...

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

Hi,
Sophie's litter is a mixture of Yesterday's News and CareFresh. Can I put the used litter in my compost bin or straight in my garden? Or do I have to separate the poops out and only use them? Thanks:)

We have a green waste bin that gets collected every two weeks here and I put my newspaper pellets in that. It's mostly poop and hay that goes in, but I also dump in the wet newspaper pellets. The rest I sift with a litter scoop. It's not going to matter if you have newspaper in (don't know about the carefresh) but if you have too much newspaper it's clearly going to affect how good your compost is etc. The newspaper pellets do break down well though.

I compost my pine pellets with the poop and hay. I have a huge pile of compost stuff out there with grass clippings and chicken bedding and rabbit litter. I try to turn it every so often with a pitch fork.
Carefresh is paper, so it shouldn't be an issue. But the more poop the better! LOL Do you moisten the pile or anything? When the newspaper gets wet it breaks down better, so I would wet it down or let it get rained on and stir it around to help everything break down.
Or you could get a mixer thing.

I don't add anything straight to my garden, I add it to the pile first and let it break down.

I compost the litter and poop from my rabbit and chickens. I would not add it directly to the garden. Like most animal manure, it can burn plants due to the high amount of salts. This is the result of the normal intestinal function of animals. Manure should always be broken down first.

Latest posts

Back