Fleece and licking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
So, we have hardwood floors everywhere and Spike is a major chewer. He slips everywhere on the hardwood, and we have tried everything for him for flooring but he chews it. Currently, he lays and runs on towels, but I'm concerned about him chewing those too. I read on here that fleece is a little bit better for chewers, so I thought I'd see how he might like fleece last night. I laid down a fleece blanket and watched him. The good news was he didn't seem to chew it. But he was LICKING it like mad. Like, it got weird after a bit. He wouldn't settle down on it. He was just so interested in trying to lick every inch of the thing and even trying to flip it over and lick the other side. I finally took it away because I was worried he might still be ingesting fibres through licking.

Anyone have any ideas why he acted like that? Should I try the fleece again or something else? I really have no idea what I can give him to lay on that he will not chew...

Could it be something you used in the wash he is attracted too? maybe some type of fabric conditioner?

What about just laying some pieces of cardboard down at least to give him some areas where he won't slip. If he chews it's not a big deal. Easy to pick up and put some where if say you have company and don't want cardboard laying around.

For laying on you could simply get a hay or grass matt. Yah, he'll chew it but until then he'll have something to lay on, unless he'd go through it very quickly.

Hmmmm...not sure if the hubby used the tide free or the scented stuff. I'll look into that.

And I never thought of cardboard! They don't slip on it? Spike does have some hay mats around, but he goes through them like mad. Crazy little chewer. He will rip at them for hours while we sleep and they will be almost gone in the morning. Funny guy.

Latest posts

Back