The scoop on litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evening

Reaction score
Hi there :)

I couldn't quite find a thread that fit my question, so here it is. I am trying to fin the best litter possible for my bun. Being a soon-to-be bunny mom, I am extremely paranoid about her well being! I have heard that wood shavings emit a whole lot of dust, so I'd like to stay away from those all together. I looked into these oxbow litter pellets: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10375+19819&pcatid=19819 And they looked pretty decent. I also looked into these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10375+18702&pcatid=18702 And this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10375+19808&pcatid=19808

So, what do all you rabbit people think? I am a newbie :) So any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :happyrabbit:

A common choice for litter is wood stove pellets (without accelerants) They are used in wood burning stoves. I can't even tell you how great they control the odor. They are amazing.

Even better is they run about 5 bucks for a 40lb bag so they are extremely reasonable in price. They are commonly sold at hardware stores, home improvement stores, farm/tractor supply stores, and even Walmart depending on your area.

The links you provided are more of a bedding type material which in my opinion are expensive, messy (stick to bunny's fur and gets everywhere) and doesn't control odor. Also, don't put bedding in the cage in addition to the litterbox. It will only confuse bunny on where the right place to poo and pee is :)

I just saw the pic of your bun on your other thread....oh my goodness cuteness overload. He is a doll!

Some of the ones you listed are, imo, a bit pricey. I used to use Yesterday's News Unscented litter, which worked just fine. Others like Carefresh, but I find it too messy. It sticks to bunnies and gets tracked everywhere.

This forum introduced me to wood pellets (not shavings). Many of us on here use them. Types and brands vary by region, but typically a 40 lb bag costs $5 - $7. It's way cheap and works at least as well as the 'official' litters.

edit: I was typing my response at the same time as Lisa. So sorry for the repeat...

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I will try the wood stove pellets :)

I used feline pine which is a kiln dried wood pelleted cat litter for years. I recently tried switching to a newspaper based litter after the buns started sneezing to see if that helped. It didn't and I'm mixing the feline pine back in.
Wood stove pellets are definitely popular and cheap. Any of the cat litters made from wood or paper are good choices as long as they're not clumping since some bunnies are prone to nibbling on their litters and clumping litter comes with a greater risk of impaction.

great info here, I'm going to switch to the wood stove pellets also, after reading this. And either leave bottom of cage bare or find a piece of fleece or a mat.

I switched from aspen to wood pellets, OMG the difference! The price is unbeatable, I get a 40lb bag for a little less than $5.00 and cant smell any odor at all.. just amazing, so glad people on here suggested it!

Latest posts

Back