Anyone have plans or advice for English Angora enclosure?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet_buns

Annette
Reaction score
I need a new set up for my english angora because regular hutches/enclosures don't seem to work for him. He's always doing his business outside his litter tray, he moves it everytime i put it in his toilet spot and he's always walking/stepping in it. Not to mention the hell of a time i am having grooming him because the sticky/prickly seeds from the oaten hay always get stuck in his fur and then somehow manage to dig their way down and it's a pita trying to get them out, especially when they're on his cheeks and chin.

I need something that's easy to keep clean as well as easy and affordable to build as I'll most likely have to build it myself.

Thanks

Thanks Blue eyes, i haven't been able to find NIC panels anywhere. I'll see if i can find something similar at my local hardware store but was unsuccessful last time i checked. >.<

The are on my back deck but were converting the carport into the rabbit area hopefully before winter. So they'll be outside but in an enclosed area.

You might try an extra large dog crate with no bedding. If my angora would work for his hay I would put it in a holder but unfortunately he will only eat if its there in a pile, so he can get messy. But I brush him daily and it seems to do the trick. I also have a fairly large litter box, the size of a small cat box, and he doesn't move it around.

You might try an extra large dog crate with no bedding. If my angora would work for his hay I would put it in a holder but unfortunately he will only eat if its there in a pile, so he can get messy. But I brush him daily and it seems to do the trick. I also have a fairly large litter box, the size of a small cat box, and he doesn't move it around.

Hmmm thanks Zoe. I might have to groom him every day. I was grooming him once a week because that's what i read what normal for an adult English Angora. Oh the extra large dog crate sounds like a good idea. I don't have to build anything that way but it will depend on the cost of the extra large dog crate. The medium one i bought for Jordie was $80. I'm going to see what kind of hay rack/holder i can come up with next weekend and see if he'll use it.

Thanks Blue eyes, i haven't been able to find NIC panels anywhere. I'll see if i can find something similar at my local hardware store but was unsuccessful last time i checked. >.<

The are on my back deck but were converting the carport into the rabbit area hopefully before winter. So they'll be outside but in an enclosed area.

I'm sure you can come up with something else for the hay. I was really wanting more for you to see the later pics in that link that shows how the litterbox was set-up with the waffle grid over top to keep them out of their litter.

Maybe an empty kleenex box with the plastic taken off the top can serve as a place to put the hay?

I noticed problems with Titan's fur and keeping him on hay, I switched him to straw and see none of the burrowing seed issues in the fur like with the hay.

Im pretty new to rabbits, and Angoras in general but it seemed to fix the problem for me.

Bah, multiquote isn't working for me.

Oh i saw the little tray set up. I really love the way the litter tray was designed and actually went out looking for something like the plastic grating but couldn't find anything. Do you know if it has a specific name? I assume i get it from the hardware store?

Kaosu, what kind of hay were you feeding yours? Do you still feed it hay, just not loose in its tray?

I really love the way the litter tray was designed and actually went out looking for something like the plastic grating but couldn't find anything. Do you know if it has a specific name? I assume i get it from the hardware store?
I've never used it myself, but you should be able to find it where they have fluorescent lighting (those 3 or 4 ft long bulbs often used in commercial settings). It's made to be a lighting grate.

I noticed problems with Titan's fur and keeping him on hay, I switched him to straw and see none of the burrowing seed issues in the fur like with the hay.

Im pretty new to rabbits, and Angoras in general but it seemed to fix the problem for me.

I had the same question as sweet_buns. Are you still feeding hay? Straw has zero nutritional value.

I ended up getting a 4 foot long dog crate from OO.com but I know places like dealsdirect and what not have them pretty cheaply at times too (around the $70 mark), I added a 1/2 inch mesh from Bunnings to the bottom to stop Ash at the time getting stuff in her belly fluff but know a lot of bunny people don't agree with that. It's solid and easy to clean and Loki who's now in it hasn't been able to destroy it

Is your rabbit living inside? If so, I would reccomend using fleece and towels. You can put the towel under the fleece if you think he will chew it. A towel will absorb the urine and you can just shake it out for poops. Washing will be needed, so you may want a few dedicated bunny towels. Fleece can be more comfortable, but does not absorb liquid very well. Towels would be good if he is really not using the litter box. If you are working on litter training, then fleece is good as a bedding. I would recommend wood pellets for the litter box as they really won't get stuck in the wool, even when wet.

For the hay, using a meadow hay would be good. Oat does have the seeds and such that get caught in the wool, it can also be more rich, so might not be good as the only hay. Meadow hay tends to be grass hay, so is good for adult rabbits. I have found that hay doesn't really stick too much in the wool, but there can be some that does.

If you are not looking to show your rabbit, then I would commender keeping the belly shaved. This helps keep them cooler and keeps them a bit cleaner.

Bah, multiquote isn't working for me.

Oh i saw the little tray set up. I really love the way the litter tray was designed and actually went out looking for something like the plastic grating but couldn't find anything. Do you know if it has a specific name? I assume i get it from the hardware store?

Kaosu, what kind of hay were you feeding yours? Do you still feed it hay, just not loose in its tray?

Still feed him Timothy Hay he has two layers to his hutch, straw on the bottom and a pile of the hay on top, he sits on it and eats but spends most of his time on the lower level.

Latest posts

Back