Home from Vacation .. more agressive female rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankiewhite

Reaction score
Hey guys !
I have a half angora bunny named Missy - she is 8 months old. I recently took an 8 day trip to London, and brought her to my friends house (who also has a bunny, but male). Both rabbits were kept separated the whole time and took turns playing outside/around the house. I brought her home last night - and she is typically very lovable and sweet but has lunged and growled at me multiple times since i've been home. Even when i give her a treat she can be agressive.

Is this typical for bunnies to need a few days before getting used to her old environment ? She is eating her greens and drinking water. Also she hasn't been exploring too much this afternoon, just hanging in her home with the door open laying down with her feet splayed out. She will occasionally kiss me and let me pet her head.. but usually we have full on snuggles ! Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences .... thanks !

She is not and neither is my friends bun, but they were kept completely separated (in different rooms) the entire week.

This is just a thought but with her hormones intact, just being in the vicinity of a male with his hormones could trigger hormonal behavior. They can still smell each other from a different room.

The mere presence of another rabbit can cause behavioral changes in a rabbit - fixed or not. But with intact rabbits, this could be more pronounced.

My guess is that the male's presence triggered her hormones.

This may be the time to consider getting her spayed. For females, it's especially a good idea to have them spayed because intact females have an extremely high rate of cancer by age 5.

Oh yeah.. They can definitely smell each other between rooms.. Pippi would go to the heating vent and deposit territory poops because she could smell Butterscotch and Ellie... And they were several rooms away from her!

After we built their condo, Pippi calmed down again. She has been wonderful for nearly a year now. ^_^ They were all spayed and neutered before this whole thing went on... Pippi is just extremely territorial about other bunnies..

Latest posts

Back