I'm finally getting another rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
So I finally have the opportunity to get another rabbit. I've missed having one. The rabbit I'm planning on getting is a blue eyed white French angora. They will be ready next Friday and I am getting everything ready for him. I do have a question though. Do angoras need to be kept on an alfalfa based pellet due to the additional need of protein to produce the wool? Thanks!

So I finally have the opportunity to get another rabbit. I've missed having one. The rabbit I'm planning on getting is a blue eyed white French angora. They will be ready next Friday and I am getting everything ready for him. I do have a question though. Do angoras need to be kept on an alfalfa based pellet due to the additional need of protein to produce the wool? Thanks!
the rabbit diet is 70%grasses,be they timothy/orchard-for digestion and teeth control,--the alfalpha is akin to clover and should only be given as a treat,and for much needed vitamins.. www.drexotic.com sincerely james waller:weee::wiggle

I realize this. I'm wondering if it would be better to give alfalfa or Timothy based because alfalfa pellets contain more protein which an angora would need to produce wool.

Last edited:
There are no timothy based pellets with the 18% protein I have seen suggested for angoras.

I don't see ingredients for any of those though. How do I see if it's Timothy or alfalfa based?

The calcium content in those look like they probably are alfalfa based and I think all of purina is alfalfa based.

My reader said fiber is more important so I think I'm just going to feed oxbow and if I see any signs of malnutrition I can add some alfalfa pellets in.

As long as the fiber content and protein content is high and the calcium is low it doesn't matter if the pellets are alfalfa or Timothy.

Back