DIY chew toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiff

Reaction score
I live in a small, isolated town, so store-bought chew toys are not an easy thing to come by. I'm looking for some stuff that can be ordered online, or preferably items I could make or find around the house or outdoors.

So far I've come up with cardboard, paper bags, dried pine cones, and toilet paper rolls (+ tp rolls filled with hay/pellets). Any other suggestions?

I'd also really like to make a hanging chew toy sort of thing, has anyone made something like this or seen any tutorials online?

If you cut your toilet paper rolls down along the length, then cut it into strips from there, you can join the pieces together to make a hanging cardboard ball type thing using natural sisal twine. It's hard to describe, but I did find a progress image here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sU9b0j0QOFE/mqdefault.jpg that's all the cut up strips with holes punchs, then you thread them onto the string.

One really easy chew toy you can make is just a piece of scrap untreated pine lumber - the 1" thick stuff you use for shelving is perfect. There are usually ends of boards left over after a project which are too short to use for much of anything. What I usually do is to cut the lumber to about 1" wide by more or less 12" long (shorter is fine). Notch the ends to slip over the bars on the bunny's cage, then wedge the board crossways across a corner of the cage. Natasha just loves working her way through the wood - if she's really into it, by the end of a day or two there will be a pile of shavings on her balcony and she'll have gotten most of the way through.

This is what it looks like:

7648_131158_510000000.jpg

You can also see another home-made toy in the picture - a piece of toilet paper or paper towel roll (or, in this case a short piece cut from a mailing tube) stuffed with hay.

Pieces of dried wood from Apple trees and other fruit trees make wonderful check sticks for bunnies. :)

Back