Scared of ceiling fan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
I had wondered whether this might be an issue, but it's worse than I thought. Today for the first time I turned on one of the ceiling fans in the lounge room. As it turns out, Bandit is absolutely terrified of it, which is fair enough. I did expect him to be scared, but not this much. Has anyone else had this problem? Did your rabbit eventually get used to it?

Is there anything I can do to try and condition him to it? With summer starting to hit, I do need to be able to use them but obviously I don't want to be scaring Bandit. I did lure him out from hiding with a craisin at one point but he immediately ran back into hiding as soon as he could.

Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I have used floor/standing fans with my buns with no problems, but I can see how a ceiling fan would be much scarier, resembling a bird of prey and all that. Maybe he'll get used to it in a couple of weeks when he realises it's not going to come and eat him up? Failing that, investing in a standing fan or two for his room is probably the easiest solution. :)

Yes, I do have a pedestal fan that he's completely fine with and I have since turned on today, but it's really not sufficient for the whole room given the size.

It might just be as you say that I need to just have to on for a bit until he gets used to it. Maybe short periods of time every day so as not to overdo it. I'm wondering whether it would be less threatening on the higher speed as he wouldn't be able to see the movement of the blades as much as if it's on the slower setting.

Latest posts

Back