Intro/Advices Needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballlz

Reaction score
Hey all, I have recently decided to rescue a rabbit that my neighbor decided to "set free" that has been hanging in my yard ever since I got his hutch of him. From my reading its probably a silky? I think, anyway the main decision to bring this bunny into our home was because its mate who was also set "free" was run over out the front.
So apart from smelling rather strong and being very damp when we bought it into the house it has been in good spirits.
After hours of eye burning research, I came to the conclusion that bathing a rabbit is a bad idea... hmm what to do now, well the most common thing I found was a "powder bath" now as it wasn't soiled I thought ok sounds like a good Idea, mind you I've never held a rabbit in my life.
So I left it over night in baby/toddler cage thingy with cat carrier in it for some where to chill and lots of blankets and sheets, did a mercy run to the shops for rabbit food, and cheese and milk for me.
So next morning its just lounging around like it owns the joint I don't think it went into the carrier once, except when my 3 yr old came running in. So I get it out and check it over see if its dried out on its own accord, nope still wet and stank only round the bum though. so using my expert rabbit wrangling skills I manage to get it in a position that its feels like it can escape and I can powder its bum. Basically its straddled my arm with both back feet planted on the ground. after that I think it fully realized i wasn't going to make it into stew :eats: :)
so a couple days have passed I've now got in an old birdcage until my canvas puppy play pen arrives and it can live in that.

So here come the need advice bit.
Today I'm just sitting at the comp and watching the rabbit and it start digging around a bit and re-aranging the food bowl and the straw and I'm like OH you must want to come out for a stretch so off I go to put the baby cage together so it can have a bit of room to roam.
So that's done come back into the kitchen and I kneel down, getting ready to get it out and BAM!!! BABY MOFOING RABBIT!!!! I actually think I went into shock for a minute....
So a few moments later four more pop out and now I have five black babys and what is now confirmed as a female Rabbit named Knack.
So all I have done is added some fresh hay into the cage for bedding as most of it got shuffled down one end and water and food changes.
So for all those with experience with this where do I go from here?

PhotoGrid_1397023284881[1].jpg

The first thing you will want to do is give her a nesting box, this can be a shoe box or anything similar that will fit her and babies in comfortably. Then you can move them and as much nesting material into it as possible to keep them from crawling away. Baby rabbits have a knack for getting into trouble so the sides of the box will keep them contained until they're big enough to roam in the cage more safely.

The mother will only feed them once or twice a day and then mostly ignore them. You can tell they've been fed by their round ping pong ball bellies. I'm sure others with breeding experience will give you some more helpful advice too :)

If you have trouble with her being dirty still, you can also use unscented baby wipes to wipe down the fur :)

Also, as a side note, there's a good chance she'll eat her way out of a canvas play pen ;)

Last edited:
I totally agree with getting them a box. Youll want a box tall enough they cant hop over the sides. I wouldnt be surprised if a baby escaped that cage if they dont get in a box.

Theres really not much you need to do. Count the babies and make sure they are being fed once a day. They will get hair on days 3 and 4. Eyes and ears open Day 10-14. If by day 14 they arent open take a warm wet paper towel and rub they eye until they come open. She will make sure they are pooping and peeing. Does normally feed once or twice a day so find out what time she likes to and you can check them after to make sure they all got fed.

I have never heard of a silky? Do you mean for the breed?

Most importantly make sure she continues to eat and drink.

Thanks for the advise, I moved them all into a kity litter tray with papertowl and lots of hay, which has promply been re organised by knack. Also they are now in a babyplaypen so knack has room to move and I could get another litter tray in for her toiletries/feed. She is eating/drinking like champ, she digs through her feed to get all the pellets first then moves on to the rest haha. I think she may still be comeing to terms with domestic life as she always lounges around relaxed but likes to make sure she is kinda hidden, I covered about a 3rd or the pen with a sheet she even moved her tray under that side, atm she only does forhead rubs and sometimes full body strokes but she will give me a grunt if she aint in the mood. With all that she is very inquisitive and well not afraid of me and she would just prefer to be herded than picked up. (She escaped and decided under the cabinet was a safer place to chill than the pen haha)

That's great of you to take that poor bunny in. It looks like she found the right yard to hop in to. I just took a stray bunny in as well, I sure hope she isn't preggers. I know the wild ones can't get her pregnant but I hadn't thought about that she might have been already pregnant before being thrown out/escaped. They look like adorable buns, good luck with them!

I think my new addition has finaly settled in today, she has been exploring the whole loungroom running from one end to the other having a rest behind the couches or under a cabinet. She comes and goes from her playpen as she sees fit to eat/toilet and check on her kits.
Dome some food testing today also mint, basil and banana are no good but she loves some red leaf lettuce.

On a side note with all the coming and going and a crazy toddler she hasn't dropped a single pellet out of her pen, I'll put that all down to the first think I ever read on this site and that was put the feed where they poop, seems to have worked a treat.

Just a quick update, we unfortunately lost a kit today, I think it may have gotten seperated from the rest sometime during the night. On a positive note we now have emergency furmula for baby rabbits. Also snuck this photo of muma Knack, just after she rolled around rubbing her face on the sheet.

20140413_144443.jpg

I dont think you'll need formula :) raising baby buns by hand is so hard. I was unsuccessful and Ive raised newly hatches sparrows (feeds every 15 minutes). Mumma rabbit knows what to do. She looks so happy

Yeah she is living it up, its better than outside. Just got her new digs in the mail today, its a little more aesteticly pleasing haha.
I'm still realy surprised that we have had no poops outside of her pen and no chewing stuff, she did go behind the tv once and got caught up and freaked so I dont think she will be going back there anytime soon. Tried having the door closed, she didn't like that starting hunting around for an exit, looks like she is going to be permanently free range haha

IMG_20140414_114250.jpg

Well completely forgot about this thread, used to just stalking and not posting haha always seem to find answers before I need to ask
Update she is healthy and independent, not one for cuddles but will bug you for treats and will accept pats.
Next project is to make a proper indoor cage\litter box hideyhole. The soft cage thingy we have her in now she chewed the zips
on the doors so we couldnt lock her up, she figured that one out quick.

Also I now no longer have surround sound. The thin speaker wire must have just been too tempting, she didn't touch any other wires.
It is nice although different to be welcomed home from night shift by a rabbit, probs just waiting for treats haha. I think she prefers the quiet after dark when my 4yr old is in bed.

Sounds like she's settled right into your home. I can't believe that's the only wire she's gone after. Female buns especially, seem to like to chew on things. You didn't need surround sound anyways did you :) If you find you need to rabbit proof your wires, that plastic aquatic tubing works pretty well. You just have to cut a slit down the middle to get the wires in. You can also get electrical cable tubing already slit for this kind of thing. This link seems to have some good bunny proofing tips.
http://bunnyproof.com/

I was also wondering what ever happened with the babies? Were you able to rehome them?

Latest posts

Back