Trimming His Own Nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorylocks

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to trim my Rabbits nails. I've been keeping up with his nail trimming or so I thought. His nails were very long when I first trimmed them and since then I've been periodically trimming them little by little. I trimmed his nails again yesterday and I noticed something really weird that has me concerned. His front nails are fine and I trimmed them as normal, but the nails on his back two feet look like he's been chewing on them. They are chipped, ragged, and sharp. Every single one of them. They're also SUPER short, like right on the quick so I couldn't try to cut them to even them out. I'm just really worried. I've never heard of a rabbit chewing his nails...so I don't even know what to make of this situation. Has anyone else heard of this happening? I'm just really worried....

There's a good chance he got some caught on something because they were so long, or jsut due to their length they got brittle and broke.

Blue eyes: I have been trimming his nails every three weeks. Just a little at a time. His nails were REALLY long before because I neglected cutting his nails because trimming nails scared me at first because he can get not so friendly when he is being held. *Which he hates* I read somewhere that you have to give time for the quick to slowly retreat after you trim the nails. I figured three weeks would be a good amount..but I might be wrong. I'm just guessing. The only surfaces Clyde runs on are carpet, towels and sheets that I lay down, and his cage floor which is the foam like play mats that fit together like a puzzle.

Bunnylova4eva: That is very possible that he got his nails caught on something. I just thought it strange that all of the nails on both back paws were all chipped and broken. If they got brittle and broke what should I do? Should I just wait till they grow out and then trim them straight again? Or should I do something else?

Back