Accepting a new "friend"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
When I went to the rabbit show run by our local "rabbit club", the guy said I shouldn't keep my new rabbits together, they'll end up killing each other. Their website also says each rabbit should be housed individually. He scared me, but everything else I've read suggests that rabbits are not only fine with a bonded companion but like having a "friend". (It's hard enough trying to do the best by new pets, without all the conflicting information... sigh)

I read a thread on here about someone having difficulties getting 3 bunnies to accept each other. My question of those of you experienced with multiple bunnies is whether a third bunny could or should be introduced and, if it's not a terrible idea, how to go about it. My reason for asking is that I look up the classifieds for bunny stuff and there are so many rabbits looking to be rehomed and I feel sorry for them. If another could fit in without huge drama, it wouldn't add much to the vege bill and if there are 3, when they get old and one dies, nobody will be suddenly alone.

When I got companions for my dog, I took her to meet them. Some she ignored, some she hated, and the ones we got, she picked out and liked. I also took one of my cats down to the "dog orphanage" when I got my latest rescue to see how he reacted to cats which was unknown as his background was unknown.

So, do rabbits tend to want to tear each other limb from limb like the "rabbit guy" suggested? If another one could fit into their "household" how do you go about selecting somebody? Is there anything you can do to select somebody they'll accept? Do sex and age matter, or is it just a lottery as to whether they'll get on?

People at rabbit shows rarely are aware that rabbits can be bonded because the rabbits that they have are all intact. Just that reason alone is why you shouldn't have them together. Also it is totally dependent on the rabbits personality. Kmabens French lop Franklin has just about tried fighting with every rabbit he comes into contact with over a period of time but her other two rabbits are so friendly towards each other. It really depends on personality

You can take your bunnies to meet the one your considering if you're getting it from a shelter. And that would be best to test out the bunnies tempermant. With bonding 3 bunnies,I think I read you're supposed to take the least dominant one of the already bonded pair and then work your way up with them and then later on introduce the more dominant of the pair.

Most breeders just have intact rabbits. Intact rabbits can fight and do serious damage to each other, they could even kill another rabbit. It doesn't necessarily mean that these rabbits are vicious, but they are acting on instinct and hormones.

When it comes to bonding, it really depends on the rabbit. Some really do want to have a friend and others could care less about other rabbits. The rabbits should be spayed or neutered so breeding and hormones aren't an issue.

Sex does matter to a point, usually a spayed female and neutered male get along best. 2 spayed females can get along as well. 2 neutered males tend to be the toughest to work with, but it can also be done with the right pairing.

If you can, letting your rabbit meet other rabbits is a good option to help select a possible mate. Watch the body language from both rabbits, tail lifting, circling and chasing can be aggressive signs. Some humping can be ok. Grooming is a good sign. Ignoring each other is neutral or positive. You will usually know if they really don't like each other, but it can be harder to guage if they really like each other.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I thought he was just talking about entire animals but when I told him I'd adopted them as a "couple" and that Stuart was fixed, he didn't really back down from saying they shouldn't be housed together.

I obviously didn't listen to him because they are still in their home together. They groom each other and sit right up close together, I can't see that they are suddenly going to murder each other. All the rescue organizations have rabbits up for adoption who are in together and offered for adoption together. I can't imagine that they would be doing that if it was an issue, I really think the "rabbit guy" was going by entire animals and not neutered bonded pets. Also, some of the breeds they had there at the show are said not to be good as pets, just for looking at, so they might be more "aggro" than my little bunny-wunny type (mini-lop).

I'd only get one that's neutered and vaccinated. Maybe if I offer to take one from a rescue, we can just work on it and if they don't like each other I could make it a fostering rather than an adoption. They are always looking for homes for bunnies. A lot of people seem to get them and then don't want them any more :(

I was just trying to figure out whether it is something that is worth trying or whether the odds of them accepting somebody else are slim so it isn't worth the trouble.

I think the odds are slim of bonding three, but it certainly can be done. I should think you would definitely need to have both rabbits meet the new one before you adopt. You also need to consider the possibility that introducing a third rabbit has the potential to break the bond of your current two. It's a tricky scenario, but if you're happy to still keep a third rabbit separate on the chance they don't bond, then that's fine, if you're not up for though then I would say no.

Latest posts

Back