A cat is hunting for my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have another problem. New neighbors just moved into the white house that you can see on the pictures. We have just that chain link fence between us. They have 3 large dogs, who will be kept on the back. I am very upset. I asked and they said that dogs can't jump over the fence. They don't bark a lot but I guess it is because rabbits are hiding under the deck (it is where the orange blanket is)
Can it happen that both dogs and rabbits will get used to each other?

To the pictures:
Taller fence goes around the back yard. Rabbit guard (short) fence surrounds some of the side and front yard. We had to put it for the summer as it was getting extremely sunny and hot on the back. Large tree on the front (plus shade from the house) made front much cooler. We had hutch with the newborn bunnies on the front during the summer and had no problems.
You can see a daycare (tall wooden fence).

Wow, I SO wish I had your yard, that is HUGE!

Anyways, how do the dogs react if they see the rabbit? I mean, it is possible that they could get used to each other and nothing happens between them, but personally I would be on the safe side and take some precautions, maybe just making the rabbits as secure of an enclosure as possible.

What kind of dogs are they? I mean, if we're talking Golden Retrievers I would be less concerned then, say, Greyhounds. But yeah, definitely try securing it as much as possible and see what precautions the neighbours are willing to do.

yes, they have a Golden Retriever. Another dog is a small mutt or maybe poddle. Two other dogs belong to the person who is helping them to move. they don't stay all the time

She said that Golden Retriever can't even jump onto the bed. Some kind of injury.

today I discovered where the cat lives. I was taking my child to her friends who live at the street parallel to ours, and the cat was walking down the street there. I stopped, he was meowing, I was wondering if I could pet him. I came close, he didn't mind me petting him. I thought I could grab him right there to take to my little trap and then to humane society. Sure I wouldn't do this, for some reasons I think I have no right to grab a cat right by his house to take to humane society.
Anyway, I looked around, I knocked couple of houses where cat was near by. Both persons told the cat wasn't theirs, but they pointed at the house that might be his. The house didn't look very well maintained. Right on the front porch I saw bowls with cat's food and water (and package with some kind of cat litter) . I rang the doorbell, a young man opened. He confirmed the cat belongs to them. I told him briefly about my problems and that the cat will be trapped if he comes to my yard again. The guy looked young and (sorry) not very intellectual. He said he would tell his mom about everything.
Now I am thinking if I had the right conversation with that guy.

The cat hasn't been seen around, BUT it has been freezing cold recently. I returned trap today as 30 days passed. Now, when I know where the cat lives, I can walk by to see what he is doing. Sometimes I don't see him, sometimes he is sitting on his porch. They have another cat and some dogs (I think).
We got golden retriever on another side of chain link fence but they getting along with the rabbits just fine. He is old and can't jump. He tried to bark when I was coming to the backyard to feed the rabbits but not anymore. His owner always takes him in if he barks too much.

I'm glad that cat isn't a problem anymore. And at least now you know where it lives and can do something about it if it shows up again.

Yes, but I feel a little confused as I can't be 100% sure this is the right cat (unless it comes again and I follow him to his house. Anyway, no problem till warmer weather (hopefully)

not the end of the story yet ...
Yesterday all the rabbits were outside with me keeping an eye on them. I got out with the broom (thats how they know it is time to get to garage for a night) but they were acting strange. Instead of getting into garage (which they do usually pretty fast as they know that veggies are there waiting for them) they ran from me in different directions. They didn't want to get into garage.
And then, in a little bit, I saw... him... a cat in my backyard but a different one. This cat was large and friendly, he wanted us to pet him and didn't mind being picked up (I called my husband for help by then). The problem was that I wanted to get buns into garage and then take care of the cat but buns got freaked out and didn't cooperate.
The only thing that the cat minded were attempts to get him in the pet carrier (we returned trap to humane society) - he scratched my husband's face and me a little. Anyway, we chased him to leave the yard but he was coming back (and the neighbor's dog wasn't out!). He jumped on top of our chain link fence easily. He could sit on the top of the fence (I thought the cat should be uncomfortable sitting there as it is not a bird).
While the cat was going back and forth (out of the yard and back in, he kept returning and felt like in his own yard) I managed to get two out of 4 rabbits inside the house. Other rabbits hid in the burrow they dug in the yard.
Then I remembered I had exactly one can of cat food left after trying to catch the first cat. I opened it and put towards the far end inside the carrier (pet taxi type). It worked -- he immediately got in and I locked him! I felt really bad about taking such a friendly cat to Humane Society but it was 10 pm and I didn't know what else to do.
In a bit, remaining rabbits git out of the burrow and I managed to get them in the house as well.
Cat was meowing in the car but when I sat next to him, he immediately stopped crying. I turned on the music and he rode just fine! They had some kennels with access from outside for drop off after hours. There were a bowl of water there.
Today we put a notice throughout the neighborhood about the cat (just letting owners know where the cat went). Hope it works and he gets back home.
Does anybody know if people need to pay anything if they release their pet from humane society? Don't want people to be mad at me. If he just left (and didn't come back) I would let him go.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they will have to pay anything, but the cat was on your property, and you have to keep your rabbits safe.

Yes, but I still feel bad about taking such a sweetheart to such a nasty place.
I am thinking to call them tomorrow to see if the cat has been picked up. Do you know how long they keep pets that were found? I heard, 3 days only? then it goes to adoption?
If nobody claimed the cat, I could try to go from house to house asking if their cat is missing (as a lot of people who let cats out would think that cat is just doing its own business and would come back when needed). But then owners would know if was me. I do worry a little about possible revenge. It doesn't take long to add poison to my grass or anything else. Who knows how angry people could be.

I checked with the shelter - the owner picked up the cat. Feeling better now!

A little late to the game. I am not sure if they pay. Some places charge people, but I don't think our local humane society does. Frankly I think it might make them think twice about letting their cat out next time. Even if they don't have to pay, just the trouble of going to pick up the cat or whatever. Also, if the cat has a city collar, you can call bylaw and tell them a cat was on your lawn terrorizing your pets. They can track the owner based on the collar and will contact them to get their cat back.

But uh, you know this is your new reality now, right? You might want to straight up buy a humane trap of your own (they are only $80 or so) because living in the burbs with interesting animals in your yard, you will have no shortage of cats coming to hang out (ferals, strays, outdoor pets etc). Most are of no threat to your rabbits though.

I didn't see this last post.
We didn't have any cats for a really long time (a few months). But a few days ago I spotted a cat hanging out nearby. This cat comes close but doesn't seem to be persistent on trying to get in (just hanging out watching). I asked my husband watch this cat, while I went to the street where the known cat lives to see if he sits by his house so I would knew the new cat is actually new but not the same one.
Holly cow, when I got there, I saw 2 identical black cats + a grey cat outside the front door + another cat looking out through the glass door. So the one by my house was actually a different, brand new for us cat. I thought it would be probably easy to put some cat food inside my pet taxi, and when he comes to eat, to close the door (this is how I trapped the only cat that I ever caught).
But I feel really bad about taking him to Humane society. When we had couple of small loose runaway dogs here, and it was Memorial day weekend so the vet from the collar didn't respond, I asked my neighbors if taking dogs to humane society was a bad idea. They all looked at me like I was crazy and said Yes, it's the very last thing they would do. Owners somehow discovered the dogs that my neighbors kept in their garage to keep them out of trouble.
Anyway... Lots of wild rabbits out here. Same rabbits come to graze every day and they don't seem to be bothered by cats. And yes, my rabbits are pretty big to get hurt by cats, but I of course keeping an eye on what going on.
Cats are free roam in my city (no collars required) so I was told nothing can prohibit them from trespassing. But you are right, the only (friendly) cat who I took to Humane society has never showed up again.
I rather worry about dogs. Yesterday I walked friend's dog as they are out of town. Right after, I came home and washed my hands but didn;t change my clothes (the dog was jumping on me pretty hard). I tried to feed raisins to my rabbits. Never they refused a raisin before. But yesterday, two came to me, smelled my palm but immediately ran away. Two others couldn't resist and ate raisins despite of the smell (I am guessing the smell was the problem for first two rabbits?)

Last edited:
If you would like to keep other cats away and perhaps dogs too, there are sprays that you can buy and if you spray around the perimeter of your fence, it will keep them away. The spray that I use mentions nothing about rabbits, but I'm not sure if they would be uncomfortable with the smell or not. However, we used to have a cat from across the road that three times a week would poop in the tub right next to our front door and not even bury it! I used the spray once on that tub and he hasn't done it again since (2-3 months ago). So that's another option for deterring cats and dogs. You can usually find it with the insecticides and things at a hardware store.

Azerane, thank you! I also have gotten an advice to get lion's poop in the zoo and spread it around the perimeter:) haven't checked how well this works yet, but I think my rabbits would freak out, too. I don't want to affect squirrels or wild rabbits who come to graze outside my rabbits' area (it is their natural habitat and I don't want to take it away from them).
My personal opinion is that best thing would be motion-detection sprinkler system but I don't know how to implement this (I mean, its' possible cost turns me down).

When we had chickens and lived in the country, I used the "fortress approach". I used regular wire on the inside and put up another barrier of much heavier wire the width of a 2x4 outside of that, and doubled up on the doors too. That way if anything wanted in, they had to get thru two barriers, not just one. It's the "you shall not pass approach", but we never lost anyone.

You can get chicken wire and secure it to the top of your current fencing to create an 'angle' of about 40 degrees, and this will discourage any cats from jumping or climbing either of your fences.

An idea can be seen here: https://medium.com/look-what-i-made/5ab2e6b93f85

Cats don't like to jump or climb fences that are angled too much over.

I imagine feeding them will NOT deter them from your rabbits however, as they DO NOT just hunt for prey food alone, but also for sport/fun. Trapping and taking to the local Humane Society, or adding angles to your own fence top, or even creating a secure hutch for your rabbits will be more effective. Usually the hassle of fines/picking up their lost cat will teach an owner to be more responsible for their cats next time. Also, the ONLY time I'd be concerned about taking an animal to the Humane Society is a) if it's an actual stray and not owned(because then I'd rather find a rescue or a home on my own) and b) if it's a high kill shelter(euthanize after so many days of not being adopted).

Latest posts

Back