Teenage Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yessiramos

Reaction score
I have a almost 7 month old holland lop buck who is exhibiting all the symptoms of teenage years.

He has for about 2 months been running around my feet in circles. He now has learned to jump on the sofa which was fine at first but now he pees every time he makes it on the sofa (3 times now). Today I was able to catch him in the act and put him on the floor right away.

Last night he mounted a stuffed bunny which is fine. I went to shower and used new lotion, anyway he started to thump so loudly I had never seen him do that. Could it had been the new lotion? Maybe new smell?

Today my niece was petting him on the floor and he sprayed. I know I need to get him neutered and I am working on finding a way to afford it. I have been quoted $365 for the procedure.

Some of that is hormonal behavior, which a neuter should correct, like the circling, spraying, and mounting. Peeing on the sofa is often just a rabbit thing. They love to pee on soft cushy things. Though it is a possibility he was doing it as territory marking. If so, then a neuter may stop that behavior as well.

Thumping because of a new smell, is normal rabbit behavior. Some rabbits just don't like some smells. A few of my rabbits absolutely hate cooking smells. You may just want to change back to whatever lotion you were using before. Yeah! What we don't do for our furbabies :)

For neutering, try calling the humane society, rabbit rescues, and shelters. See if they have any suggestions for low cost rabbit neuters. They may even offer them as well. Also check low cost spay neuter clinics. Some of them also do rabbits. Or call around to different vets. Not all vets charge the same. One vet around my area charges $80, another charges almost $300. So the price can vary quite a bit.

Ouch! That is expensive. I would try calling around for other prices. Just make sure the vet is experienced with buns.

The new lotion may have been what made him thump.

Wow, so weird about the lotion. It does have a different and much stronger scent. Amazing that would trigger him to thump. It was so loud when he was doing it. Yeah I will never use it again if I plan to sit around him... Obviously he didn't like it!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back