HELP:I don't understand him...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssherryy

Reaction score
Leo has been part of our family for over a year now. When he first joined us, he was scared, but he trusted me. I feel like I must've done something to break his trust because nowadays, he runs away from me even if I'm just trying to sit on the floor and spend a little time with him.
He loves my mom, which is great. He trusts her and plays with her, (he also pees on her a LOT)
I don't know why he doesn't bond with me the same way...

What can I do to have him love me? I feel so sad and empty...

:bunny19

Yes! He acts perfectly normal and his diet is fine :)
The house is the same, we just put in the AC, he was really excited about that. He loves the ac. I think that's the only reason he likes my room.

It's just me specifically that he doesn't like :/ He's been like this towards me for months now

Hmm, I don't get it. He shouldn't just not like you all of the sudden. How does he not lke you? Does he run away from you? Will he accept treats from you?

He doesn't accept anything from me except pallets, he lets me feed him little pieces of pallets from time to time. If i try to give him strawberries (he loves strawberries) he won't eat it. If my mom gives it to him, he will go crazy for it.
He always runs away from me now, on some occasions he will follow me for a few min and play tag with me. I never ever chase him because i know that is frightening so I always let him chase after me if he actually is in the mood to be nice to me
I don't know what I did wrong, but I want to know how i can improve our relationship so he can be a happy bun around me.

Well you might want to do what the bonding websites say to do. Here is a really good article on bonding with your bunny: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/bonding-your-bunny-29064/ I think it would be a good idea to try to rebond with him.

I wish you the best of luck! and I'm sorry you are going through this. I know if Ash all of the sudden didn't like me I would feel the same way you do.

Maybe you smell odd to him. Did you change perfume, or maybe started using a hand cream that makes any fruit you're holding smell toxic to a bunny? I've never known my buns to refuse a treat they love, even when Boyfriend makes them jump through hoops to get it.

Does he bite or try to hide? If not, it sounds like he's just uncertain of you. Perhaps you don't spend as much time with him as your mum does, so he's familiar with her as his Main Human but regards you as a stranger who might hurt him. Don't give up, try just being in the same room as him more often without approaching him. Reacquaint him with your smell and presence. He'll grow to trust you in time.

What can I do to have him love me? I feel so sad and empty...
If you are transmitting your feelings to him, he may be responding to those feelings. Try to feel less intense about his "rejection". I know with cats, people who try to get the cats to come will put them off. Cats don't like to be stared at. If you are staring and really wanting him to come over, he may be picking up on your intensity and that might be discouraging him. Try to not care (yes, I know you really do care, just trick yourself into thinking that you don't) and relax.

he's peeing on your mom? That sounds like mating type behaviour. And are you sure he's a him?

has he been neutered?

Treats, Treats, Treats. Maybe even limit the pellets and things he has on his own, and instead, make it something special he gets from you on routine. Make a certain time every day that you spend with him, and do a routine (something like a certain time you get him out of his cage, let him hop around, give him his pellets). Make food a positive thing coming from you, so he relates you with feeding time-you can even make him take the food from your hand to have it, or sit with him while he's out and eating. Also, try some other treats, maybe a few plain cheerios here or there (not too many though), carrot, a little bit of banana every now and then, or look for some oxbow bunny treats. None of these treats are overly healthy, but in small quantity will be fine and help your bunny realize you're the person he wants to come hang out with.

Also, I saw you said he pees on your mom alot,; yes, this sounds like unneutered bunny behavior. I'd recommend getting him fixed if he is not. It will help make him such a better citizen and maybe he'll be a little bit more chill with you. Maybe right now he's just considering your mom like his mate.

he's peeing on your mom? That sounds like mating type behaviour. And are you sure he's a him?

has he been neutered?

Sorry to deviate from the thread...but my Merlin pees on me! I'm not 100% sure he's a buck (took the breeder's word for it), but what does it mean? He wants to have my bunny lady babies?

I agree it could be a scent thing. Have you changed perfumes, shampoos, soaps, detergent any time recently? Any of those could cause you to smell different to him and he may not recognize you.

It could also be a hormonal thing. He may need to be neautered.

In terms of bonding, we had the same issue with my husband. Spike took to me right away, but had trouble trusting him. There were two issues: one, my hubby never felt perfectly comfortable with Spike. Bunnies can sense when you aren't calm and then they think there is something to worry about. The second was just spending time with him. I don't mean forcing petting on him or even paying any attention to him. Just being with him. Get right down on the floor with him and then do something else. Watch TV (mind the remote! I lost a lot of buttons on mine watching tv with Spike), read a book, whatever. Don't make your bun the focus. Just be around him. He will start to become more comfortable around you and eventually will probably approach you. Don't ignore him, but don't pounce on him either. Speak softly, say hello, but maintain whatever else you are doing. Eventually, he may let you know he wants snuggles. Spike has gotten to the point with my hubby (and me) where he will go right up to your hand and put it on his head to say, "pet me!". Most of all, be patient. Your bond may have broken for some reason, but you can get it back. Bunnies love love!

Thanks so much for everyone's replies!
He is not neutered yet, I am in the process of finding a good vet for him. It's a little difficult because most of the vets that care for rabbits are far from where I live.

I think it might be the "intensity" he feels from me, because I do try too hard for him to like me. He actually hates carrots and bananas, hes very picky with his treats. I will try to set up a routine. I am hoping for the best!

Latest posts

Back