Molting or Mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadbury0317

Courtney W.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have been a new bun mom for a little over three months and everything has been going fantastic so far. But recently I have noticed that Mr. Cadbury has been losing big patches of fur on his back legs. I freaked out and of course went binge surfing the internet to find out what was wrong. I have read a lot of online information about it possibly being fur mites. The problem is that I don't see any flaking or dandruff anywhere on his body or on the hair that I have been carefully removing. I sesrched around the hair removal spots and the spots that where fur mites most occur, I searched his whole body. There is no hair removal anywhere else but his back legs with a few strands here and there. I also read about rabbits molting and treatments and other things but I thought that I would get a second or third opinion before I go making a vet appointment over a natural thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is the hair loss on the inside of his back legs or the outside? We had a couple of bucks whose hair on the inside got a little thin but it didn't become a concern for us. Is there any smell or wetness in that area?

It is on the outside near his tail and feet. And there isn't any wetness or any kind of smell around the area. I'm not sure if this is his first mold since I adopted him from another family and he is a couple years old.

Is the fur missing on the heels of his feet? You might look up sore hocks. A picture would help a lot. When our rabbits molt, they lose fur, but they don't lose fur to the point of having bald spots. If he does have sore hocks, you might want to take him to a rabbit savvy vet to get checked out and make sure that he doesn't have any infections, because if they get into the bone, they are really difficult to clear up. If it's not sore hocks, a vet could tell you for certain what's going on.

I went and took him to the vet on Friday and he looked him over and said that his skin was perfect and that he is a seasonal molter and nothing else was wrong with him. I haven't been pulling out any more big clumps of hair recently but I bought a brush to help his molting along so he isn't itching so much. Thank you for your advice I greatly appreciate it!

Some rabbits molt more than others and some of them molt weird. I never noticed any of mine molting a lot on their back legs but Aki used to (it doesn't seem to do that anymore) molt a lot and in horizontal 'stripes' getting larger and larger over the course of several weeks. Considering she's got a white undercoat with dark grey / black hair on top she looked really weird for months every year ^^. On the other hand, Tybalt's coat is mostly unaffected by molts. Getting bald or very visible spots during the molt is not unheard of. This article is in French, but the photos speak for themselves ^^ :
http://www.ladureviedulapinurbain.com/mue.php

Latest posts

Back