Strange lumps and vet visits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa26

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Melissa and recently I found a significant lump on my bunnies left hip area. I was concerned so I took her to the vet today. They put a needle into the lump and took out some of the fluid to look at it under a microscope. The results were what looked to be like early stages of lymphoma cancer. Of course my heart dropped and I was very scared. They gave me the option of just letting it run it’s course or putting her under and having it removed at a later date. As I am only 18 and do not have the between $400 and$ 700 the surgery will cost I brought her home. I am really trying to think of ways to raise this money. I just want people to know they are not alone and would love for anyone who has experienced something like this to share with me. I love her dearly and want the best for her.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? If not, I would recommend you get a second opinion to be sure. You also say that they told you it looked like the start of lymphoma, so there is a chance that it might not be?

We have had several sick bunnies. One had a thymoma in her throat, and we didn't find out until the day she passed away. Another rabbit developed a tumor in his head, but it was so small that the vet wasn't even sure it was a tumor. He lived another year after that. We had another that died from an undiagnosed issue....he just got sick and the vet couldn't save him. We have one that now is getting over pneumonia, and another that has a leg injury from his previous owner that has caused severe arthritis. Also, one of our female rabbits wasn't fixed, and she developed what looked like a tumor. They said she wouldn't make it through the surgery, but she did, and it turned out to be something else. She has no signs of cancer, and even the vet was shocked. My daughter owns the rabbits, but we help her when we can. She recently had to make arrangements with our vet to bill her monthly payments for the care that her rabbit needed. I think it ended up being around $50 per month. She is a poor college student, so this was the most affordable option for her.

Taking care of a sick bunny is hard, but what you have to decide is whether the quality of life is good enough for them to keep enjoying life, or if it's to the point that they are so sick and miserable. Keep an eye on the lump, and on the bunny's behavior - especially her walking/hopping. So sorry you are going through this!

Hello. Vet care is horribly expensive, that's for sure. Just last week, one of my rabbits went through a severe case of stasis while I was on a business trip and I had to ask the petsitter to get her hospitalised for 24h at a vet clinic... luckily they saved her, but the bill was sure pretty high. How old is your bunny? Is she spayed? Honestly, if she was my bunny I would want to have some tests done to make sure the lump is cancerous and if it is, that it's not the manifestation of another cancer (like the metastasis of an ovarian / uterine cancer which is pretty common if your doe is not spayed and over 4 years old). In the end, I wouldn't even try to operate if I wasn't pretty sure that would save her. After that, is there no one in your family that can lend you money? Like your parents? I've began to set aside a small amount of money every month (about 15$) since I got my first pet as a kinda grown-up (I was still living with my parents and studying in uni at the time, I was giving private piano lessons to horrible rich brats on weekends ^^). I'm still doing it now that I'm a working adult, that's my insurance so I'll never have to chose between paying the rent and saving Fido or Thumper who really needs that 1000 $ operation right now. Just a thought for the future. It helps my peace of mind anyway to know it's there.

Latest posts

Back