What is to cold for a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been offline for awhile but still around. AJ is doing great and is now between 2.3 and 2.5 pounds on average. He's full of spunk and full of tude and knows what he wants. :)

Question though. I am hot blooded and love cooler temps but I don't want to harm AJ. What temp is the lowest I should go for AJ to be ok? My thermostat is at 64 and he's more toward an open window with all but the front of the cage covered with a blanket. He had a timothy hay tunnel he would lay in/behind but he threw a temper tantrum and got most of the cage including the tunnel wet. So that's out now.

If I cut a larger fleece blanket down to a smaller size and place that inside will that be ok? A whole one is to big.

Well, if the temperature doesn't drop from one day to the next they are comfortable down to -10° C, that's when I start to cover the hutches because I feel bad for them. They have comfy hidy houses in there, but I didn't notice them using those more often just because it's cold.

It's about 15°C in my house now, but Herr Hase (uhm 9-10lbs) still prefers the coldest spots on the floor for sleeping or flopping over. No cage, he can go wherever he wants.

One thing to avoid is taking bunnies from a warm room outside when it's cold, or vice versa (outdoor bunnys better stay outdoors, with passive protection from the elements (insulation, wind shields etc,), the temperatur change is more a problem for their lungs than the cold.
Do avoid drafts.

Last edited:
Preitler,

Ok so he's fine. I worry cause the last home he had he was next to a drafty door all winter long in the house and food availability and water availability wasn't always guaranteed.. So I kinda worry more about him being comfy and happy.

He's a little to food eager but it's expected. He's up to 2.3 - 2.5 pounds now where he was high 1 pounds when I got him, he's a Netherland Dwarf, so i am always worried about the cold with him.

He is a great bun though! He's got a tude but it's not a mean one it's more of a mischief one. He plays tag with me and his "brother" my chihuahua. He loves cuddles and will even throw temper tantrums at night when it's sleepy time and I refuse to play and snuggle even through his cage anymore lol

Hi Kinai, sounds like your doing good with the weight gain try not to go much more over what your at now 2.3 - 2.5, 3 pounds and over is to fat for a ND but depends on size of your ND as well is he tiny or big? As for being by a door with a draft he has probably gottin use to it and preffers alittle cooler temps than say what we would be use to at this time of the year inside the house it also depends on if he has molted his summer fur and is preping for winter due to photo period and temp change. My young ND was raised outdoors in a shed shes not use to house temps so over the course of 2 weeks now shes gone thru a change of getting use to warmer temps slowly while i use a tiny desk fan on one end of her cage on low where she preffers to lay but when she gets cool enough she moves to a diffrent area of her cage. shes not molting to get her winter fur yet due in part to being in the house so i will keep using the fan to keep her cool so she wont over heat. When rabbits get to hot they have a tendancy to lay flatout breathing fast and mostly laying under there water bottle or if they have a water dish will lay with there head on or proped in the water dish so watch for those signs for over heating. When to cold will huddle in one spot normaly tightly in a corner with slower breathing and may even be shivering. Rabbits can handle alot of cold well below zero provided they are out of the wind have a hide box padded with straw and cage mostly coverd with a tarp of some type but still must recive fresh air circulation. On wire botton cages only in extreme fridged cold temps do we pad down the whole bottom of the cage with straw so that the rabbits feet wont get frost bit. Can you move the cage away from the window? He might not be getting to cold he might enjoy the fresh air.

Funny you mention you have a chihuahua we have 2 rescue chi's, :D one is my service dog now.

A temperature of between 10-20°C is recommended as ideal for domestic rabbits, though they can cope with lower temperatures, but tend to suffer from too much heat.

Latest posts

Back