building housing, direction please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past few months I have been trying to get started with a small rabbitry consisting of three mated pairs, one mini rex, one lionhead, and one holland lop. I have a friend with a much larger rabbitry who I've been going to for advice and the is constantly telling me "they don't care what we want." So with some major disappointment put behind me, I've decided to build a custom rabbit barn.

To start with, I have a large screened in back porch. I'm fairly handy and can probably enclose it with a some plexiglass and have a modicum of environmental control, so I'm not worried about too hot or too cold. I am also planning on keeping any pregnant or nursing does as well as kits in my current bedroom cage setup.

But for the 4 (soon to be 5 and probably more once the kits are weaned) bucks, I want to build out the entire large porch structure with hutches and runs. I've been searching the internet and looking up hutch building plans, but it seems that even though most call for hardware cloth in some fashion or another, a lot of people say that it's bad for the feet.

So if anyone can give me some guidance, especially blueprints or multistage direction (as in fitting the hutches together with the runs), I would really appreciate it.

I've never built an outdoor hutch (my buns are indoors) but you could use the hardware cloth and then put carpeting, towels, etc. on top (these can then be more easily cleaned too!) to help protect the feet.

Latest posts

Back