Toilet training problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member to the forum, it's a great website and I was hoping to get some advice about my bunny. I brought a male mini lop bunny in February this year at 10 weeks of age I have since had him desexed and vaccinated. He has always been pretty well toilet trained. After about a week after his booster vaccination and desexing I have noticed he would urinate outside his cage, right next to the cage on the floor boards which he has never done before. Most of the time he does use his litter box located in his cage however every second or third day for the past month or two he will go outside on the floorboards, just wondering if anyone has any idea why this has started happening? I always clean up the urine with white vinegar to try and remove the scent.

I took him back to the vet and asked them, they could not give me any answers, they said sometimes female bunnies can catch uti's after surgery but did not think this could be the case for my male bunny. I have tried placing another litter tray outside his cage where he is choosing to urinate but he just digs up all the litter pellets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

i would say hormones aren't balanced, but its been 2 months since being neutered?

maybe put hay in the outside litter box, and he might jump in and eat and use the restroom in there.

Yes about 2 months now. Is it normal for hormones not be be balanced at this age? Will try the litter box with hay, thank you very much for your help!

Hi Ralph. Welcome!
Is your rabbit hunching up or straining when peeing? Watch for those symptoms of UTI. Otherwise, nothing else pops into my head. Has anything in his cage changed? Has anything in his life changed? Even something small?
How about the cage; is it easy to get in and out? Does it have a plastic smooth floor or wire? If it's a wire floor your rabbit could just be avoiding it.

Hello,
Thanks very much for your response. I have not noticed him scrunch up or strain when peeing, though I do not catch him regularly peeing. The cage was moved from one side of the room to another, but about 80% of the time he will pee in his cage, in the litterbox.
He roams free around the loungeroom which has polished floorboards however he has a small cage in one corner which has a plastic bottom in which his big litter box is placed ontop of lined with the pellets. Most of the time he will use the little box as his hay feeder is right next to it.

Have just placed another litter tray where he is choosing to go next to his cage occasionally and lined with hay, will see how this goes.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back