rabbit names - do they care?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicNova

Reaction score
hi! so very recently (yesterday) i got my first rabbit in years. one which is actually mine. i called him judy hopps (after the main character in zootropolis/zootopia). this is a girls name. i know its a silly question but do they care what they are called? my rabbit is male. thanks in advance!

No. As you probably realize for a rabbit 'a girl's name' or 'a boy's name' have no meaning - actually, even for humans in a lot of countries most of the names can be given to girls or boys. If it bothers you to call a male with a doe's name change it, if it doesn't you can keep it - you haven't had the rabbit long enough for him to get used to his name anyway so it doesn't matter. One of my first rabbits was a boy who was sold to me as a girl. But by the time I noticed it had been weeks and the rabbit knew his name and answered to it so I kept it. It made people who didn't know me or the rabbit laugh everytime they first heard it but... who cares? I was so used to it I actually forgot that it was a girl's name after a while.

If you say it in a high pitched and happy tone of voice (and they've learned that tone of voice as a good thing) they couldn't care less what you call them. My cat responds to "useless" (her actual name, to which she also responds, is Mushroom). And so long as my tone of voice is happy, she is 100% ecstatic when I call her useless. My rabbits also respond to horrible names, but they are not allowed on this forum :p (their actual names are Brandy and Whiskey). Animals don't care at all what you call them- you could even call your rabbit 'she' and a girl and he wouldn't care at all (so long as the vet knows he's male since the medicine can be slightly different). It's human to assign a gender/sex connotation to a random noise. :D

Latest posts

Back