wild baby rabbits....help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonda

Reaction score
my dog found three little wild baby rabbits. i need help in knowing what to feed them etc.

This is the time of year when we are going to see this question many times.

Wild baby bunnies usually don't do well in captivity. Iftheir eyes are open and they are hopping around, they are old enough tobe out on their own and can be put back where there dog won't getthem. By this point the mother would have already had anotherlitter and the babies are on their own.

If they are very young (eyes closed), the best thing to do is contact a local wildlife rehaber who can properly care for them.

Remember, that it is illegal to have game animals in your possession,so it is not advised to try to raise them yourself unless you have theproper permits.

Pam

Hi Vonda,

In the wild, the mother rabbit won't stay on the nest, but rather, nearit.? Staying too close would signal predators that the babies arethere.? I'd return the babies to where they were found and keep the dogout of the area. The mother may still be around wondering where theyare.

-Carolyn

Hello Carolyn

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out what has happened totheir mother.Thanks for the info. The dog really tore up thenest, but the nest wasn't really to deep into the ground. Doyou think that if the bunnies are returned that the mother would gatherthem up and put them into a different nest or would she leave themknowing that they have been handled?

If the babies eyes are open and they are hoppingaround, the mother is probably long gone. The scent reallydoesn't affect them -- the scent of the nest is of high significance,the scent of the offspring is not. A mother rabbit will nevermove the babies to a different location (rabbits cannot pick up theiryoung in any way).

The babies should do fine if left in a safe area.

Pam

I know you not suppose to keep them but before Iwould let them die if you can get to a vet and get bottle to feed themthey will do okay on whole milk or the ones i had to feeddid. I no it's wrong but for the life of me I can not let ananimal die that I can feed to keep it alive if thats all ittakes. Good Luck. But I wouldtake the advice of the other ladies and contact someone to help youout. Until you get help try the milk.

Latest posts

Back