Partial wire floor hutch design

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet_buns

Annette
Reaction score
I was thinking about having a wire bottom just in the eating part of the hutch so i could have a tray under it to collect the droppings etc. Main reason is to keep the hutch cleaner than it would be without it, but i am not an experienced builder and i feel like trying to build a hutch with a partial wire floor is going to be a bit of a daunting task.

My questions are...

Do you have a design or advice as to constructing a hutch with a partial wire floor, a "how-to" type thing?

How would i clean a partial wire floor? I obviously wont be able to sterilize it with a fire torch thingy unless it lifts out.

In your opinion, would it be best if i just built a hutch with a full solid floor, if so, why?

I think you just need a narrow wood beam along the edge of where you want to change the flooring. You can use a heavy duty staple gun to put down the wire and the beam would also act as support for the edge of the wood floor to be nailed to. You might want to cover that narrow area where the wire stops and wood starts with a strip of something so the rabbit doesn't chew on the edges. To clean wire you just need a wire brush and disinfectant. You could lightly torch it if it's big enough that you won't get close to the wood.

Latest posts

Back