Mouse in my house PLEASE HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Are mice dangerous to rabbits??? We just saw a mouse run accross our living room and my rabbit is in an x-pen in the living room. He saw it too because he was thumping earlier and when he got back into his x-pen he stood up looking around. Will the mouse spread any diseases or anything to him??? Is it dangerous to have him here with the mouse? Please help any advice on how to get rid of the mouse will be appreciated

Set some traps, but make sure your bunny can't get to them. Mice and rats can carry mites and are very unsanitary. I'd be surprised if a mouse tried to attack a full grown rabbit.

Mice are a fact of life here in the country - the field mice find any nice warm spot they can when winter starts. They're dirty and destructive, so I can't allow them to stay in my house. Mouse urine is incredibly corrosive - I've had to throw away a number of items of electronics when the mice got into them.

You can't use DeCon or any other pelleted poison, even if you're careful to put the bait someplace the rabbit can't get to. Mice will spread them around, and they're as dangerous to rabbits as they are to mice.Even though the mice will eventually die, in the meanwhile they're capable of moving pelleted poison throughout the entire house - I found my coffeemaker stuffed full of the stuff one year.

What I do is put solid mouse poison in the basement. You can find the stuff at Agway or other farm supply stores, sold in blocks about four inches long by about an inch around. It's too big for the mice to move, so they consume it on the spot. Upstairs I put old-fashioned snap traps wherever I've seen mouse signs. Bait the snap traps with peanut butter, and use double-sticky tape to fasten them down to something large and heavy so if you catch a mouse it can't drag the trap away someplace hidden where you'll only find the trap and mouse until they're really unpleasant (ironically, old mouse mats from the computer work really well). Put the traps up on counters or shelves where the bunny can't get to them. Most years I'll catch six or eight mice in the snap traps the first week or two, then only one or two the rest of the season as the solid bait in the basement takes effect.

Thanks for the replies. My mom got this thing called Riddex. Has anyone heard of it? It is supposed to drive out rodents and roaches by making a sound only rodents and roaches can hear. Would this affect my rabbit do you think? I know they aren't rodents but they are small animals so I'm not sure. Does anyone know anything about this?? Thanks!

TMy mom got this thing called Riddex. Has anyone heard of it? It is supposed to drive out rodents and roaches by making a sound only rodents and roaches can hear. Would this affect my rabbit do you think?

That's an ultrasonic noise generator, which creates a loud noise in a frequency which is so high that humans can't hear it. I did a little research, and it seems that rabbits can hear ultrasound, so I think it probably would disturb your bunny. I wouldn't recommend using it. The rabbit can't really escape from the sound, and even if he doesn't seem to react it could bother him.

For what it's worth, those devices don't really drive pests away completely, they just move them around. Ultrasound is very directional and easily shadowed. The pests might move away from the sound generator, but they just move someplace the sound is shielded.

I use a traditional snap trap with peanut butter for bait--Put on the inside of a milk crate with weights on top so it's bunny proof, but the mice fit easily thru the holes. Never took more than five minutes to resolve the problem. I do scatter Decon over the back wall where the dogs can't get to it either. I used some traps to keep them out of the pool equipment as I was tired of doing wire repair all the time and those worked pretty good except I did get 2 Grackles.

Thank you very much. I'll try the traps!! I'm just scared he will get into them he finds ways into everything!!

Latest posts

Back