Rabbit breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Hello I have rabbits. My first was a white feral rabbit i worked in a unique situation at a school next to a farm at which the farmer at one time let her rabbits go. Anyhow they lived around the school and farm for years. the 1st time I saw them was 20 yrs ago. We enjoyed seeing them. I found this white one baby took home. And it began. I acquire two dutch nethland dwarf mix. Had babies kept the dwarf of the bunch. I just mated the other female to the white i believe he is a california. But the babies 2 look white a blk like the California 3 blk or charcoal not sure yet. And one brown one maybe sable the blk and brown look like rex. Only a week old tomorrow. Eyes look like they starting to open. My question can you get different breeds different from what you have since i really dont know what is in the white rabbits (flopsy) history is. Or maybe they just look different. I know they are adorable.

It's kind of hard to follow but it sounds like all of your rabbits are not purebred. In this case you can basically get anything and everything. Even when mixing purebred rabbits there are most breed traits that are not passed down

It's really not recommended or responsible to breed rabbits that you do not know the history of. There can be many breed traits and hidden things that can crop up when breeding. A very important example is malocclusion. This condition can be very expensive to even maintain and it's best that the rabbit be humanly euthanized than placed in a home that will have to spend fortunes on.

Last edited:
That you for responding. yes i have all mixed breeds. I am learning as I go. Even if I breed lets say a several times it wouldn't create more of a pure breed. Maybe i should pick a breed and stick with it. I really like the brown one.

Breeding mixed breeds creates more mixed breeds. They won't randomly produce a purebred. Purebreds are rabbits that "breed true," which means that when you breed two of them, they produce offspring with the same physical traits. This only happens through generations of selective breeding.

Makes sense because i have had two generations of the netherland dwarf dutch mix and I can see simular markings on the rabbits and knew what to expect. just expected to see some dutch marking. Not one looks like the mother or her siblings very different. Father must have strong genes.

I have another question. I have been searching the web could not find an definite answer. Can feral and wild rabbits mate. I do not want to. I was just wondering since the male rabbit I have is from many generations of feral rabbits. Someone told me they could and I didn't think they would. Thanks

By 'feral' rabbits do you mean domesticated rabbits that people have let loose/that have gotten loose and begun to live in the wild? Those are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing as domesticated rabbits but 'wild' rabbits like cottontails are NOT the same species. They actually cannot breed with domesticated rabbits. This PDF talks at length about the differences between them all. :) But rest assured, they cannot breed.

If you or someone else has seen rabbits that appear to be a mix, its possible they're just agouti rabbits. Chestnut/agouti rabbits do look an awful lot like cottontails and other wild rabbits so its not a surprise they could be mistaken as one!

Yes floppsy was a feral domestic rabbit easy to catch a cutie there used to be several big different colored rabbits many tan blk and white and white saw a few looking wild colors probably the chestnut agouti. Everyone said it was a mated with a wild one. I said i didnt think they could. 4 yr later i still have him

Latest posts

Back