Help Exporting Rabbit to the USA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariethomas

Reaction score
Hello. It's been a long time since I've made a post on this forum. I am hoping on some serious advice/help from a community with experience. I am at lost with what to do next. I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this

I have completed my 4 years of high school experience in Ecuador and looking to move back to New Jersey, USA. Except there's one problem, the (people who issue documentation to animals traveling) are saying my rabbit Casper cannot leave the country. The reasoning is that rabbits are not classified as pets in Ecuador (only cats and dogs are). My mother has made several phone calls to find out how to fix this problem, the only option we have is to get a special permit in order to export him. This said permit could take years and a lot of money, or never happen at all. The chances seem very low that we will ever get the attention required to help fix this(we've had people just hang up the phone or say they don't know anything).

Now, we are working on contacting the government who are in charge of making the laws (what animals can fly and not), our only argument is that our rabbit was sold to us as a pet from a pet shop when he was very young. (We contacted them through email and they still have not replied, its been days)
Apparently there is no special paperwork for rabbits granting them a clean bill of health, therefore they do not want to issue him access to leave the country. The airline doesn't seem to be a problem yet, as we can just find one that travels with pets. But we are also worried when we arrive at said airports, they will not allow him to travel, stop us, make him stay behind, quarantine, etc.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any gringos ever face the same issue exporting animals from a certain country? Are there any companies willing to help export him? Any advice is much appreciated. I love my bunny, he is nearly 4 now and he is my world. I do not have ANY friends he can be given away to, and my only remaining family here is an elderly grandmother who might not be able to take care of him at all. He is very loved and part of the family. Thank you

TLDR; Rabbit cannot leave country (Ecuador) because he's not a "pet" Anyone have experience exporting a rabbit to the US?

So you can't leave the country with a rabbit at all? I was going to suggest driving to a neighboring country and flying from there.

That is definitely strange.
Typically its the country you're entering with restrictions not the one you're leaving.

I'm not sure anyone can help you with the restrictions on leaving Ecuador, but there are many of us who have brought a pet into the US.

I'm sorry! What a scary situation. It seems ridiculous that they won't let the rabbit leave. They may not be pets in Ecuador, but they are in the US.

Have you tried contacting the US Embassy? They might be able to help or at least give you helpful advice hopefully.

https://ec.usembassy.gov/

Latest posts

Back