white in litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
I noticed lately, in Harvey's litter box that some of his poos have a bit of white stuff on them or a sort of clear substance of some sort. His poos are a bit small and in the last week I saw cecals a couple of times, but not in last 2 days luckily. Appetite is fine, increase in hay ingestion, but less water intake.
I noticed him laying down chewing at one point today. Could be in pain, but doesn't look that way.

Last Friday he was in ileus (got taken to vet). But seems to have recovered fine, minus the smaller poos (but I mean still a good size), and cecals.

Anything to be concerned about? Thank you!

White stuff on poos can be mucous, or it could be dried urine. The clear substance sounds more like mucous. Did he have mucousy poops during the ileus episode? Has he had some probiotic to help him recover from the ileus totally?

hmmm... I think I have seen both- dried urine and mucous. If there is mucous is that a problem?

Yes I was giving him benebac once a day for about 5 days- so I guess Wednesday-Saturday he has not received any.

Mucus can be a sign of intestinal distress and/or bacterial overgrowth. It would make some sense that he would have a bit after recovering from an ileus event, but a lot would not be a good sign. If it keeps up, he may need vet reassesment. It's good that you gave him Bene-Bac before--maybe another dose would be good.

tonyshuman wrote:
Mucus can be a sign of intestinal distress and/or bacterial overgrowth. It would make some sense that he would have a bit after recovering from an ileus event, but a lot would not be a good sign. If it keeps up, he may need vet reassesment. It's good that you gave him Bene-Bac before--maybe another dose would be good.
an increase of good gut flora with a probiotic,,may have caused an unbalance of gut flora resulting in bacterial overgrowth-(mucus)... good intentions sometimes have reprisals.....sincerely james waller,,antibiotics and probiotics..ie.house of rabbits

Well I didn't see any today, so I guess I will attribute it to last weeks events. Of course, I will continue to look out for it.

Thanks for the info! Always something new to learn :D

Latest posts

Back