Bunny head tilt discussion.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParisWright

Reaction score
Hello,
My baby rabbit name Pepper has head tilt unfortunately, we've taken him to the vet and have the necessary medication now.. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone threw this with there rabbit? It is very sad to see him this way when he used to be so playful and happy. He seems very sad and depressed, he pee the bed when he used be potty trained! If anyone has any tips or just any personal experiences with there rabbits who've had head tilt and how they dealt with it and how they took care of there bunny during recovery. The vet said he likely won't die from this because we caught it really early and he will have a tilted head maybe forever but it may go back to normal after.
Thank you everyone,
Paris.
(here is a photo of pepper on my photobucket account if you're interested, this is before the head tilt started. I can take a photo of him now if you would like)

I had a rabbit with this, but likely not what you want to hear. However there are different forms of head tilt. I'll quote from my research below. My rabbit apparently had central rather than peripheral vestibular disease. If your rabbit has a good prognosis, then it is more likely he has peripheral head tilt.

My rabbit was seen by the vet literally within a couple hours of the first sign of head tilt. She still did not make it. It progressed rapidly.

Here is some of the info I found when I was researching this:

• Peripheral vestibular disease carries a good to guarded prognosis for clinical recovery. There is often a residual head tilt, but the rabbit can learn to reestablish balance and live a relatively normal life.
• Central vestibular disease is less common, and also includes head tilt, positional nystagmus, circling and loss of balance. Because the brain is involved, there may often be other signs such as loss of appetite, mental dullness, other areas of weakness, gait abnormalities, seizures or sudden death.
• Rabbits with central vestibular disease may also have histories of other signs compatible with central disease, potential exposure to toxins, parasites, or trauma.

My rabbit was literally rolling while trying to right herself. She would roll over and over - a sign usually indicative of central vestibular disease. Because of this, she could not walk anywhere. She could not traverse a foot of space to get to her litter box.

It sounds like your rabbit has the more treatable version. Hope he responds well to treatment.

[Here is some further information:]

• Head tilt/torticollis (sudden onset)

• Loss of balance.
o In severe cases the rabbit rolls and spins continuously.
o Head tilt, loss of balance and falling are seen with both central and peripheral vestibular disease, while rolling indicates central disease.

• Some differences in clinical signs may indicate central disease:
o Head tilt, loss of balance and falling are seen with both central and peripheral vestibular disease, while rolling indicates central disease. (B600.12.w12)
o Horizontal or rotatory nystagmus may be seen with peripheral or central disease but vertical or positional nystagmus indicates central vestibular disease. (B600.12.w12)
o Depression is more likely with central vestibular disease. (B600.12.w12)
o Cerebellar signs (intention tremor) may be present with central vestibular disease. (B600.12.w12)
o Hemiparesis and ipsilateral postural reaction deficit may be present with central vestibular disease. (B600.12.w12)
o Horner's syndrome or facial nerve paralysis may be present associated with peripheral disease. (B601.11.w11)

• Prognosis depends on the severity of clinical signs and whether or not the condition is progressive. (B600.12.w12)
o Signs may improve over a few weeks. (B601.11.w11)
o Many rabbits with mild head tilt may lead a relatively normal life. (B600.12.w12)

• Euthanasia is an appropriate treatment for severely-affected rabbits (e.g. with rolling). (B601.11.w11, J60.6.w2)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HeadTiltVestibularRabbit.htm

Latest posts

Back