Bun has sore hocks! Any home remedies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jieep

Reaction score
Hey there! My bun has sore hocks, it doesn't look serious, only a small red patch on his hock but more on the middle half to side hock. He has a homemade cage with a wood floor, mesh walls, and a second floor. The first floor is just a rubbery mat for grip, and not much support. I have a pillow which he loves to go on (now i know, because of his aching hocks). and hes not out much because he has lots of space in the cage. I took him out one time and he looked like he was in pain. So i checked his heels and yeah, sore hocks. he had this before and I'm pretty sure all i did was put antibacterial cream, cleaned his old, smaller cage, and kept him in there for about a week. Now, i have a much bigger cage and I'm trying to soften the floor as much as i can with towels and pillows so his hocks dont hurt. Anyone know a good remedy for sore hocks that works really well and that's not costly?

Having a big cage is nice but it certainly doesn't replace being out of it at least 5 hours a day. Imagine being kept in a really big bathroom alone for the rest of your life. Just saying... for the sore hocks the only thing that ever worked for my rabbits (i've had a bunny with bad posture and one who hated to stay clean) is forudine. It's not expensive and works in about 5 days, applying it twice a day. You can get it at the counter at the vet. Still you should begin to put money aside because no animal is "cheap" to cure and that it always come unexpectedly (my dog ran in a bush and hurt his eye 3days ago - i got an emergency appointment at the vet and it costed me about 100$, i was glad to have some money reserved for "animal emergencies").

Latest posts

Back