Any re-bonding success stories?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbunnyan

Reaction score
I have a (formerly) bonded, neutered/spayed trio: Paul (7), Kevin (4), and Bea (2).

To make this short, I fostered a pair of rescue bunnies for just a week (in a separate bedroom). I've fostered many over the years, but for whatever a reason, a certain sound or scent from these ones must have set my bunnies off because one day after work, I found Paul's nose split open. I stupidly took him to the vet by himself, and when he came back, Bea attacked him immediately. I kept him quarantined until he healed completely, but 2 months later, Bea still tries to bite him.

I went about the usual tactics: daily bathtub sessions, long car rides, etc. During the tub sessions, Bea will immediately run up to Paul (who is usually the alpha) and be submissive by lowering her head asking for grooming and even groom him, but it won't be long until she immediately tries biting him again. I've been spraying her in the face trying to deter this. The car rides are the only times she's too afraid to attack.

I'm trying to keep my emotions at bay and stay steadfast, but I'm noticing Paul breathes very hard when he's around Bea now and thumps continously. He's very anxious around her, and I'm trying to break this cycle of Bea attacking Paul, Paul getting anxious, and Bea then wanting to attack Paul because he's anxious. I'm not sure if this is good for his health -- is 7 considered old?

Any advice to get past this hump would be appreciated!

Sometimes rabbits just decide they don't like each other any more. It's probably not anything you did or could have done. It's just rabbits. The only advice I have is to maybe separate them entirely until they forget about each other and then pretend they are brand new rabbits. I wouldn't spray her- that will just make her associate him with more negative feelings. Good luck!

Ravenous is correct that sometimes a bond will break and - if the scuffle was serious enough - they may be irreconcilable.

You mentioned that Bea would "be submissive by lowering her head asking for grooming." This is actually the opposite. It is the alpha rabbit that demands grooming by lowering the head. It's not a request, but a demand, and if it is ignored, that can cause retaliation. Perhaps Bea became extra territorial while Paul was away to the vet. Females can be especially territorial and Paul was now smelling like a new rabbit (an intruder).

A few weeks apart to forget that they don't get along might give them a second chance. It will be important to neutralize a space or (better) find a new space to bond them. If that works, then the same would go for the cage they used to share. Trade it out for a different one, move its location, re-arrange it -- whatever can be done to make it as different and unfamiliar as possible. If they bond in the neutral space, you just don't want to then place them back in any disputed territory from their past.

Hello, this is very off topic. (sorry) I am new to this website and I want to start a thread but I don't know how to. I don't see a button. Any advice?

Hello, this is very off topic. (sorry) I am new to this website and I want to start a thread but I don't know how to. I don't see a button. Any advice?

Click "Forum" near the top of any page (in the green bar). That will get you to the main forum page.

Once there, you will see numerous categories. Choose the appropriate one. For example if you want to ask about your rabbit's diet, then choose "Nutrition & Behavior."

When you are in the Nutrition & Behavior section, there will be a blue button on the left side near the top that says "New Thread." That is what you click to begin a new thread.

Latest posts

Back