Pak choi, peas and.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Are pak choi, and fresh peas (like fresh out of a pod) safe for bunnies?

There was something else I wanted to ask about too but I forget it...:?

OH!

Alfalfa sprouts... seems like a silly question given the alfalfa hay/pellets etc, but I just wanted to check that they're ok? The fresh ones, sort of like baby beansprouts?:?

Since Mouse and Chalk have moved in with Barney and Snowy, it's hard to feed them... cos Barney and Snowy can't have green peppers, green beans or celery as they give them mushy poo, but Mouse and Chalk love them and eat them with no problems (only the green beans occasionally, I know they're sugary!), but I don't want to take them away from Mouse and Chalk completely, as they wont get as varied a diet...

So, apart from these 3, I'm on the lookout for other veg to try! :D

my bunnies like bok choy, not sure if that is the same as pak choi. i also give them sugar snap peas sometimes, but they're not thrilled about them. don't know about alfalfa sprouts.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Are pak choi, and fresh peas (like fresh out of a pod) safe for bunnies?

Alfalfa sprouts... seems like a silly question given the alfalfa hay/pellets etc, but I just wanted to check that they're ok? The fresh ones, sort of like baby beansprouts?:?
"Bok Choy" is fine, not heard of Pak choi either, also, alfalfa sprouts are fine as well!:)

Hmm.. i think 'bok choy' and 'pak choy' are the same, it means 'white vegetable' in different chinese dialects.. i THINK.. do you have a picture? maybe it'll help to identify if they indeed are the same :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
So, the peas are ok as well?

Thanks guys! :)

Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot about the pea question:p. Here's what HRS says:

"Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*"-is safe. So, not the peas themselves. Here is what another site (from Rabbit References)says regarding peas:

Can cause gas or are very sugary: do not feed
  • Green beans
  • White and red potatoes
  • Beets
  • Fresh corn
  • Fresh peas
Okay, on the Bok Choy, Pok Choi thing, I just found on a post that Naturestee did on plants by family that it is the same thing, so it is safe, but is high in calcuim. Given that, I wouldn't feed alot of it.:)

Hope that clears all that up, lol.

Thanks! I'm gonna try the pak choi later.... shame that it's high in calcium.... although I bet that the fussy little buns wont even like it lol! :p

:shock:

Do you know what, I completely forgot to give it to them! We had a BBQ yesterday and the fridge was absolutely choc-a-bloc with food other than bunny stuff for a change, so I just didn't think to dig it out when we fed them! I'll try it tonight....:)

mouse_chalk wrote:
Since Mouse and Chalk have moved in with Barney and Snowy, it's hard to feed them... cos Barney and Snowy can't have green peppers, green beans or celery as they give them mushy poo, but Mouse and Chalk love them and eat them with no problems (only the green beans occasionally, I know they're sugary!), but I don't want to take them away from Mouse and Chalk completely, as they wont get as varied a diet...

So, apart from these 3, I'm on the lookout for other veg to try! :D

Can you separate the buns during feeding time? I often do that with Pipkin & Emmaline...especially when there are "treats" in their salads like a carrot or fruit. Emmy is a foodaholic and thief, which does not bode well for Pipkin if she decides he has something in his bowl that she wants. So sometimes I will put one in the condo and one out for dinner salads.

Also, if you are looking to give variety you may want to try lots of different kinds of leafy greens and herbs rather than adding sugary, starchy, or cruciferous veggies which can all lead to digestive issues in sensitive buns. Anything that is not a leafy green I try to give in moderation...and never too many at a time.

Some greens & herbs my buns enjoy include: romaine, arugula, butter lettuce, leaf lettuce (both green & red), beet tops, carrot tops, dandelion (too much can cause some soft poos for buns not used to it), radicchio, endive, basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, oregano, etc.

When it comes to cruciferous (cabbage family) veggies, I try to take it easy. This includes: watercress, radish tops, kohlrabi, kale, collard greens, cabbage varieties, bok choy, broccoli, & cauliflower. All of these have high calcium content and can produce GI upset for some buns. My rabbits all are CRAZY about kale, watercress, broccoli, & cauliflower...so I definitely give some. But I try to only have one of those things in a salad and in a limited amount. Also, I go some days without them getting any cruciferous veggies.

Wishing you the best in finding lots of veggies your buns can share!

Latest posts

Back