bunny pees a lot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea123

Reaction score
so I have noticed that Nibbles has been drinking a lot the last couple days and her pee today has a bad odor as well as peeing a lot (of course from all the drinking, why wouldn't she lol )

She normally has dry pellets for foot every day and her hay. Today she got her weekly carrot treat but I also today tried her on a piece of romaine lettuce. Could this be giving her a bad odor to her pee? Her poop pellets are dry and normal.

She is about 3 1/2-4 months old.

No, lettuce probably wouldn't, especially not one piece. Is the pee red/orange? It could be a hormonal marking pee, which smells worse than normal. If it's not, that the temperatures aren't especially high and that she's drinking a lot more than normal, a visit to the vet might be in order.

No, lettuce probably wouldn't, especially not one piece. Is the pee red/orange? It could be a hormonal marking pee, which smells worse than normal. If it's not, that the temperatures aren't especially high and that she's drinking a lot more than normal, a visit to the vet might be in order.

pee is not discoloured. our summer has been a hot one this month, so could it be something to do with the heat?

My rabbits tend to drink a lot more when it's hot - the weather is a lot milder where I live right now, but one week ago I had to refill their water bowl during the day several days in a row, which seldom happens (my rabbits eat a lot of vegetables, so they usually don't need to drink much water). The smell isn't really stronger in their case, but the heat combined with hormones might be responsible for the one you've been subjected too. If the pee looks normal, that your bunny's butt looks dry and clean (when a rabbit's got a urinary infection, the rabbit often looks like they're straining to pee and the fur around the butt is often damaged by urine burn), it's probably nothing really worrying.
If it last when the temperature aren't that hot, I would take her to the vet just to make sure (it's never bad to have a check-up before spaying anyway...)

Thank Aki.

I checked her bum and it looks normal and she doesn't seem to have trouble with doing her pee. The smell seems to have gone now so might have been just the temperature and her hormones!!! geez wondering if she is menopausing like me LOL

Thank Aki.

I checked her bum and it looks normal and she doesn't seem to have trouble with doing her pee. The smell seems to have gone now so might have been just the temperature and her hormones!!! geez wondering if she is menopausing like me LOL

Lol! If you are in menopause, it could be that your sniffer was on overdrive. I know -- I've had days where I seem to smell everything - in stereo and full volume!! :pullhair:

So I think i have ruled out the pee part. But have noticed the smell is back and her poo is a bit wet and that is what is smelling the most. I clean out her cage daily and try to keep up on the pellets she drops but WOW bunnies drop a lot of pellets in a day! I haven't given her any veggies now in several days just her "Living World" hard food, her hay, and a couple hard treats she has had since she came to use 3 months ago.

Sigh... she seems fine otherwise. I let her out once or twice a day out of the cage for a bit of exercise and moving around. And she is her silly perky self. I'm sure she sleeps but I have YET to see her sleep since bringing her home 3 months ago LOL

Lol! If you are in menopause, it could be that your sniffer was on overdrive. I know -- I've had days where I seem to smell everything - in stereo and full volume!! :pullhair:

Then I have one VERY sensitive sniffer then! I'm just starting the whole menopause thing so GAWD help me! LOL

Latest posts

Back