Hello from Nibbles and myself

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea123

Reaction score
Hi There!
I just joined this evening.

I have a little girl Rabbit we named Nibbles. She is the cutest thing that hops! She is about 3-4 months old now and doing well. But today (the last few hours) been noticing a strong smell coming from her cage. I feed her pellets and hay normally, but today I gave her a little carrot (which she gets about once a week) and new today was a small piece of romaine lettuce.

Wondering if the lettuce has made her pee/poo smell? Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers
Andrea and Nibbles :)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Are you sure she is a she? Males can get smelly urine when hormones kick in (though perhaps females might have this too?).

Usually if there is a reaction with a new green, it will show itself in a change in poo size or consistency. It's doubtful, then that the little bit of romaine caused the problem.

When introducing a new green, only offer that new green and nothing else. Offer just that one type for several days to check for tolerance. (in other words, don't feed carrot at the same time)

For future reference, carrots are super sugary and should be viewed as a treat rather than as a green/veggie. Think more in terms of "greens" when introducing fresh food veggies -- dark lettuces, herbs like cilantro, mint, basil, etc.
Here's a guide on how to slowly introduce greens and what to look out for. :)

Please post photos of your lovely bunny! We'd love to see pictures!

she is a girl. no boy parts :)

She only gets a carrot perhaps once a week and that is all. I will definitely check out that information you linked to me thanks!

I will post photos shortly. Been busy with my son doing some fun things with him where the weather is so nice out!

She only gets a carrot perhaps once a week and that is all. I will definitely check out that information you linked to me thanks!

Hopefully you meant a piece of a carrot. A 1" slice is the most a bunny should get on any given day. Otherwise they get a sudden overload of sugar which, indeed, can mess with the bacterial balance in their gut.

Latest posts

Back