Bunny shed configuration - how much mesh?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a timber bunny shed to move my bunnies into. It will be divided up the middle so that each pair of bunnies can have half. The builder can put mesh or cladding wherever I want so I need to decide how much mesh to put on.

The basic designs have full height mesh on the meshed panels. I have a dog who is "chasey" and would love to "play" with the bunnies (chase them about). She loves to stare at them through the mesh of their current house (which is at floor level). They don't really get upset by her, but I find it very annoying.

Because of her, I want cladding at floor level where there's mesh so that the bunnies have some privacy against being pestered. The question is how much mesh vs how much cladding, how high to make the cladding on the mesh sides, which way to face it.....

It never gets really cold here (maybe down to 8 deg C at night in winter, very occasionally less than that) but it can get really hot in summer (over 40 deg C). Because of myxomatosis, I'll have to add flyscreens to the meshed areas.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how much mesh to go for? Anyone with a shed and wishing they had more/less? Any other ideas of what to allow for in a shed? Anything you wished you had thought of?

Thanks for any help in deciding what to do.

My only concern with blocking off the dogs view up to a certain height, is that you then might simply have your dog constantly standing up against the side to look in or jumping up and down to get a look at the bunnies which could be more scary for them than being able to see the dog approaching. It's a tricky situation because for some dogs a lower height to simply block from sight would be all that was needed, however more persistent dogs might still jump etc just to see in.

Rabbits are more tolerant of cold than heat. 40C is definitely hot enough to give a bunny heatstroke. Do you have plans to keep them cool?

Rabbits can die of heatstroke at 30C.

Thanks for the replies.

The bunnies aren't remotely scared of "pesky dog", it's more to protect the mesh from being deformed or pushed at by her jumping on it. She could stand up and stare at them, they wouldn't mind, as long as she can't wreck the mesh would be the main thing. The outdoor run on the grass is completely open, she's fine with them when they're in there because it's stronger mesh - it's the normal aviary mesh and flywire screens that she's a nuisance with because she bends them by pushing on them. None of the bunnies fears her in the slightest, they'll go right up to her and "kiss" her. It's her I'm bothered about. She can't be kissing bunnies, she's too big and potentially dangerous.

As for the heat, it's not a major problem, they get their iceblocks and can come inside if the temperature in their house were to go up substantially (as long as there's adequate ventilation it shouldn't be that hot inside, the hot air rises and they stay on the floor - it can be a problem in a tiny little hutch but not so much in a proper building). They aren't at the mercy of the elements, it's more a question of making their outdoor house as comfortable as possible. I can hook up some solar-powered fans to help with ventilation, I have a gazebo I can put up (if it fits, or I can get a bigger one if it doesn't), I can stick up shade sails if the sun is a problem (there's a large tree to the west which casts shade anyway). There are lots of options for keeping the sun off and keeping things from heating up. We're on the coast, blue eyes, it's hot until the sea breeze comes in and then it cools down.... I expect it just stays hot in your desert climate until the sun comes down?

Since I first posted, we had a downpour and I realised that I'll need to keep a verandah on their house or serving dinner will have me drenched and tracking water in. (it doesn't rain that much here, but occasionally it can turn on the waterworks).

I'm looking at a different configuration altogether, with a big verandah. It'll not only help when it rains, but add more shade without having to erect shade cloth or plant more vegetation. I'm thinking of just keeping normal windows and having a mesh panel only on the front between the doors. I think I'll also be able to add mesh doors inside the ordinary doors, so the whole front can be opened up for ventilation. If I can enclose the whole verandah, they can come out of their house and run around there. Mosquito meshing the normal windows won't be such a production as meshing huge expanses of mesh.

It think it'd be pretty good, the only question is whether I'm completely insane to consider spending the huge amount of money this will cost me.....

Latest posts

Back