Toilet bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingstar

Reaction score
So, I've been using paper bedding for Astro's toilet, and it only costs about $6 for two or so weeks worth, if used as sparingly as possible. The problem, though, is that he likes to dig in it, and if I don't put in enough bedding, he ends up urinating on on the bottom of the toilet, and it's smelly. I try to clean the toilets out daily, and I wash them weekly with soap and water. If I use the paper bedding generously, it ends up costing me only $24 or so a month.

Still, is there a cheaper option? The place where I work sells a large bag of softwood animal bedding -- pellets, not chips -- that costs about the same as the paper bedding that I've been using, and I've been considering it. However, I've read so much about the negative effect of woods like pine and cedar believed to have on rabbits, I'm hesitant, and I'm looking for other options. I'm curious what all of your opinions are, and what you use?

Any input is appreciated! :)

The wood pellets (not shavings) do work great and are inexpensive. I just wanted to let you know that you can be sparing with the pellets since they really do e x p a n d in the litter box.

Here is a photo I made a while back that shows how pellets can be used. I only change the box twice per week. It doesn't smell in between changings.

litter set up.jpg

I thought I'd show you a comparison of a fresh litter box with the pellets barely covering the bottom of the box, and that same size box after 4 days of use.
You can compare that horizontal line on the side of the box to see how the pellets have expanded.

100_8819.jpg

100_8815.jpg

I'm sorry! I didn't see your replies! I've been using paper bedding, still, but I might have to finally switch to wood pellets, because of the cost. Thank you for the pictures, and the ideas!

Latest posts

Back