Indoor temperature question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
In the summertime it gets quite hot here, our bunny will be an indoor bun(getting him in a couple of weeks)

Right now because of our schedule, we have our thermostat automatically set to let the house get a little warmer during the day, and at night while we're sleeping (85 degrees F is the max it'll get before the air condition kicks on) so that we aren't running the air conditioning as much all day.

Is this too hot for an indoor bunny? I'm wondering if I should adjust the indoor temps when we aren't home, to keep bunny comfortable, or if 85 degrees is still an safe indoor temp for bunny.

I think 85 would be too hot for rabbits. Since getting my buns we have kept the house at 76ish max, or if we want to let it get warmer I put them in their play area in the basement.

If I recall right, rabits aren't supposed to be in temps of 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) or warmer.

Good to know, Once we get bunny home I'll adjust the thermostat so it stays in the mid 70's when we aren't home. Thanks!

If I recall right, rabits aren't supposed to be in temps of 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) or warmer.

I don't know about house buns but the wild rabbits come out to play in 90-100° heat here.

My buddy is in an isolated ACed room (my bedroom) that barely gets to 73 during the day and seems to be doing great.

It depends on what temp the bunny is accustomed to. They can tolerate 85 if they're used to it, but I would also provide a fan to keep the air moving in the room. You could set it to the upper 70's without a problem.

My rabbits are outdoor rabbits, and are always outside no matter the temperature. In order to prevent a heat stroke, I fill up empty juice jugs, milk gallons, ect. with water and then freeze them. I place these frozen jugs in their cage when it gets hot, and they press up against it. It's like cheep and easy air conditioning for your rabbit- plus, they love it😉

I am paranoid about my rabbits getting heatstroke after losing one to the heat last summer. I would try to keep a nice, cool temp for your bunny.

If you can't have the air con on during the day, you could always try having a fan on to circulate the air and a damp cloth over the cages to help keep cool :)

Frozen bottles are also a great help. I freeze large bottles and wrap them up in a towel before giving them to my bunnies. They love it.

In most places wild rabbits are a different species from house rabbits and are better evolved to handle the local climate. House rabbits come from Europe and their bodies tend to be built for the cooler climes. Of course each rabbit is different. :)

Latest posts

Back