AK, HI - Rabbit Savvy Vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Alaska:

The followingis a combination of the Petbunny listserver member recommendations at: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_AK.html, and Rabbits Only research and member recommendations.

The listings are in order of AREA CODE.

(Please post updates including additions, deletions, recommendations and personal experiences in this thread).

[font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"]
[/size][/font]Dr. Kathy Doty (PetBunny, RO)
Alaska Pet Care
3900 Lake Otis Parkway
Anchorage, Alaska 99508
Phone: 907-562-7387
Recommended by: David Baker
Submitted: 5/01
Recommended by: babybug74
See note in member's post...

The Pet Stop (RO)
1921 W Dimond Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99515
(907)-522-1006
Recommended by: tundrakatiebean

Del Seeba DVM (RO)
Diamond Animal Hospital
2545 E Tudor Rd
Anchorage, AK
(907) 562-8384
Recommended by: tundrakatiebean

[font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"]
[line]
Hawaii:

[/size][/font] The followingis a combination ofthe House Rabbit Society list for Rabbit Veterinarians in Hawaii (listed at: http://rabbit.org/care/vets_hawaii.html);the Petbunny listserver member recommendations at: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_HI.html; and Rabbits Only research and member recommendations.

The listings are in order of AREA CODE.

(Please post updates including additions, deletions, recommendations and personal experiences in this thread).

Thomas Chlebecek, DVM
(HRS, PetBunny)
Makai Animal Clinic
420 Uluniu Street
Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 262-9621
[email protected]
Recommended by: Jan Rebmann
Comments: Tom Chlebeck from Etherbun (rabbit owner) graduated from Colorado State vet school, interned with Dr. Susan Brown here in Chicago and moved to Hawaii, where he is now practicing.
Submitted: 2/00

Dr. Karin Fujitani (PetBunny)
Mililani Town Center Pet Clinic
95-1249 Meheula Parkway, B-13
Mililani, HI 96789
(808) 625-6744
Recommended by: Freedom Lau
Comments: She is very gentle and very thorough. I can honestly say that when we first went to her, she saved Bunny's life because another vet had no experience with rabbits and almost killed her by prescribing a life threatening diet and medication.
Submitted: 8/02

Cindy L. Krach, DVM (HRS, PetBunny)
21 Lower Kula Road
Kula, Maui, Hawaii 96790
(808) 876-1000
FAX: (808) 878-3660
email: [email protected]
Recommended by: Jan Rebmann
Comments: Graduate of Madison, WI in 1990.
Note from Dr. Krach: ...externed with Dr. Susan Brown...[have] a great interest in rabbit medicine & have always...had pet rabbits...have 2 clinic rabbits...used for demonstrating handling and medicating techniques ...sees ~10-15 rabbits per week...currently spaying and neutering all of the Maui Humane Society rabbits and working closely with a Maui sanctuary dedicated to both birds & rabbits.
Submitted: 10/00[font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"][font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Not sure if this is allowed, but I hope itis. I just wanted to share my experience with Dr. Thomas Chlebecek, who practices out of the Makai Animal Clinic inKailua, HI.

Here's some background on our situation. I "rescued" Brandy(my mini-lop girl) from a family whopurchased arabbitand after a few months,grew bored withher. She ate their sweet potato plants in their garden andbit through the electrical cords of their flat-screen TV. Herfuture was even more uncertain when they added a frisky chihuahua pupto their household. The pup would chase Brandy around forfun, stressing the poor bunny out. I saw the family's ad onCraigslist, and knew that I had to have a look...and when i did, it waslove at first sight. And that's how Brandy came to join ourhousehold.

From what her first family told me, I knew thatBrandy hadnever seen a vet and would have to be spayed. When I firstbrought her home, she was relentless in mounting our boy bunny,JarJar. I began searching for a veterinarian who treatsrabbits or exotics. I found the Animal Care Foundation(vet--Dr. Sabina Giacomo) and scheduled an appointment for Brandy to bespayed. So many things went wrong, and Brandy ended up notgetting spayed there. I also knew that I would never wantthat place to treat any of my animals.

Went back to searching, and after seeing Dr. Thomas Chlebecek's namecome up so many times (on rabbit.org, humane society articles...), Icalled the Makai Animal Clinic and explained that I had recentlyadopted a mini-lop girl and that she would need to be spayed.The receptionist said that I should schedule a pre-surgery examinationfirst and then if all was well, then we would go ahead and book thespay. So that's exactly what I did. Brandy had apre-surgery exam on Dec 30, 2006.

The clinic is really a clean and nice place to bring animals.They see dogs, cats, birds, turtles, rabbits, andchinchillas. They board dogs/cats/rabbits, and offer groomingservices too. In addition, they are a full-service veterinaryclinic, with three veterinarians on staff. They are fairlybusy, but as far as I can tell, you are seen on time if you have anappointment. They have reasonable hours--Monday-Friday 9-6and Saturdays 9-5. They are closed on Sundays.

Dr. Tom (Chlebecek) was great when he examined Brandy. Hevery thoroughly explained what he was doing as he went through theexamination. He demonstrated the proper way of holdingBrandy, and she was so calm through the whole thing! I couldtell that he really respects and cares for rabbits. He alsoexplained the spaying procedure, and the anesthesia he uses, how manyrabbits he treats per week; all the important things that rabbit-loverswould find pertinent. He said we could schedule the spaysurgery, and that was it. The "exotic pet exam" cost me $45,which I found reasonable.

Brandy's spay surgery was scheduled and occurred on Tuesday, January9. Per Dr. Tom's instructions, we did not fast Brandy theprevious night, and we dropped her off at the clinic on spay-day withsome veggies, hay & pellets for after surgery. Dr.Tom called after the spay had been done to report that Brandy was doingfine, and he went over the after-care instructions; such as how oftento give the Metacam and when to call (if the incision was infected orswollen, or if she wasn't eating by the next day). We pickedBrandy up the same afternoon she was spayed--Dr. Tom doesn't keep themovernight because he feels they recuperate better in familiarsurroundings.The spay surgery cost meabout $198--$202 with tax.

I am totally happy that I got in touch with the Makai AnimalClinic. They have a great, friendly staff, and are always sonice and accomodating! Dr. Tom Chlebecek is the bestveterinarian I ever brought any of my rabbits to. I feelreally at ease with them!

[line]Added:thanks:

Alaska Vets

The Pet Stop

ph (907)-522-1006

1921 W Dimond Blvd Anchorage, AK 99515

I took Wash to Pet Stop to get altered, they were very friendly and nothing went wrong at all. They fully explained the procedure, even what product they used to seal the wound, and made sure I knew exactly what to do afterwards. They handed out a cheat sheet of after care, which I thought was awesome

Seeba, Del DVM - Diamond Animal Hospital
(907) 562-8384 2545 E Tudor Rd
Anchorage, AK

Seeba is really good, I took Wash to see him when he had a little sore on his foot and he was great. He told me what I needed to do and what he's done for his buns in the past and he didn't make me feel like an idiot:)

[line]Added:thanks:

I take mine to Dr. Pam Bluestone- Hillside Pet Clinic
East Abbott Road 344-7913
Anchorage, AK
She is wonderful and listened when I took her the printouts about the parasite. She prescribed the Panacur to Fuzzy and helped save her life!

You can also see either of the Fredricksons there too as they are also experienced bun vets.

Latest posts

Back