Opinions on a rabbit that doesn't play?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
I took in a rex about 2 months ago and I love him so very much. The feeling is very much mutual, but I always wonder if he is getting what he needs. He doesn't play with ANYTHING at all. I have gotten him toys and made cardboard toys. I've given him paper to shred and he wants nothing to do with any of it. He doesn't even enjoy playing outside. He doesn't have a rabbit friend, so do you think he is just a rabbit that doesn't need much to be content or could he be lonely? He is healthy and seems pretty happy to me, but I don't have any other experience with rabbits to compare it to. Any advice is appreciated.

Some rabbits totally ignore toys. Outside can be a big, scary place and it isn't surprising that a rabbit is leery. Certain rabbits certainly are more adventurous and bold, but others find the big outdoors too intimidating.

Indoors, does your rabbit have a large space in which to exercise? Do you ever see him binky or do dashes? Those are definite signs of being happy.

Some rabbits that don't like toys, per say, will still like to explore larger cardboard boxes and tunnels -- ones that are large enough for them to crawl in and on. They may investigate the boxes for a while and then the boxes can be switched out for other sizes or set up in a different configuration.

Here are some examples of things that can be done with boxes and towels, etc.

boxes fun.jpg

You had rabbits before?

They (at least mine) do not play like cats or dogs - they have no predatory instincts.
They binky, they nibble and gnaw, they mark, and they dig, they hide, explore, climb, sometimes they throw around stuff they think needs relocating (food bowls, water crocks), they do their social things (humping, chasing, nipping, fighting, demanding pets etc..), but actually there is not much I would describe as "playing". Rabbits are, well, they are rabbits. A class of their own.

I think they are the most no-nonsense animals I know.

Last edited:
Well it seems like it didn't post my response so let me try again.

I have only seen him binky maybe 5 times in the 2 months I've had him. He is SUPER sweet and is always giving me kisses. I have 2 cardboard box houses with his blankets in them and a cardboard toy I made tied to them with hemp yarn. He has only gone in them a couple of times and hasn't ever messed with the toys. I am going to try out the examples you gave me in the picture. This is my first rabbit and he has access to the entire house , but sleeps in my room. Recently he has started hopping in my bed and sleeping there some of the night. He does alot of exploring the house, but I see people talking about their rabbits playing with toys or just playing in general and I was worried there was something wrong or something I'm doing wrong.

My experience so far has been alot like that preitler. I have always had dogs, so maybe I'm comparing him to them too much. I will definitely be trying out the tunnels and different box setups and see if I have any luck with that. Thank you guys!

Every rabbit is an individual too. I mean, I have one rabbit who binkies if you encourage him a little by kind of shaking your head and talking to him. My female binkies ONLY when there is food and ONLY when she really really wants said food. My male plays tag with the cat, runs throughout the house, plays with boxes, tunnels, stuffed animals, and literally anything. My female, well, she likes to snuggle with people. She doesn't really binky or play (she does 'popcorn' though). I know she's happy, it's just who she is- a little lazy. :p

I just get the feeling he isn't happy here. He was found in the neighborhood across the street from mine. I have no idea what kind of home he had prior to coming here. I don't know if he had a rabbit friend or what. I have 3 dogs and a 3 year old, none of which he has ever seemed to mind. I just get the feeling he isn't happy here. Is it possible to give your rabbit too much attention? I go love on him about every hour. Is that too much? Again, I am used to dogs and am learning about the bunny world as I go. This forum has been extremely helpful

If you FORCE love on him every hour, that might be too much. If you offer it, no. E.g. can he walk away from you? Does he HAVE to be near you? If he can move away it's 100% ok. Rabbits are social creatures, and yours probably enjoys the attention (some don't of course). How does he act when you are around? Does he come up to you?

He comes up to me alot. Mostly at night time. He so hot and cold though. One day he will ask for attention all day, the next few days he will want to be alone. Sometimes he will come up to me to groom me and if I try petting him while he's grooming me, he gets frustrated and runs off. I am learning that when he is in the grooming me mood, I am never allowed to touch and I am to lay still and let him do it lol I never know what I'm going to get. If he runs from me when I approach him to love on him, I will leave him alone. Someone told me to let up on approaching him and let him come to me more.

Latest posts

Back