Angry Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
Sorry this will be kinda long..
I had family over the past 4 days, so Nessa wasn't allowed to have her daily house run. My Aunt and cousin were eager to see Nessa, but that plan quickly turned sour. I explained to them not to try to pick her up, to sit still and let her come to them, etc. As soon as I put her down, she hopped around the room like she usually does then crept up to my cousin and bit her really hard! I was pretty shocked. Nessa can be moody but she never bites. Despite trying to reintroduce her to my family, she continued to be aggressive: lunging at them, grunting, biting.
I tried to have alone time with her everyday to compensate for the lack of attention she'd been receiving. I'd attempt to pet her but she'd back away, grunt, then try to bite me. I'd hand her a treat and she'd run into her cage and turn her back to me.
Well my family left a few hours ago, so I decided to let Nessa run around in my house. The whole time I had her out she thumped her feet and tried to pee on everything. I still wanted her to get exercise so I put her in her make-shift playpen. The playpen is in the middle of my kitchen. I was watching her from my chair when all the sudden she put her ears completely back, jumped out of the playpen, took off running towards me, jumped onto me, and sunk her teeth into my chest! I have no idea why she'd want to bite me like that, let alone put all that effort into getting to me just to bite me. She's usually terrified of my tile floor and won't step one inch onto it. Her playpen is three/four feet from my carpeted living room. The whole time I carried her back to her cage (I had to wrap her in a blanket) she was violently kicking and trying to bite me.
I'm watching her right now and she's pacing the cage grunting. She looks positively wild. I might be making something out of nothing, but I'm just upset over the way she's acting. What could be wrong with her?? Is it simply hormones?

I would say she is being a moody teenager and a bit stress out from your family. It's expensive to desex here too over $300 for Shida the other day but all the after care vet visits are free including the weekend stay she has just had because she ripped her stitches out

Wow, that is quite a turnaround. I wouldn't think it would be purely hormonal given how sudden and drastic of a change it is. I would think it's mostly to do with your family visiting (possibly a bit of hormones thrown in). Here's these new people, suddenly in her space and taking over her space so she's going to defend it. I would probably try to give her a bit of time to settle down. Make sure she's got somewhere in her cage to hide, and if/when you let her out, try not to be in biting range, don't want her to get used to that. You might need to discipline her by holding her to the floor with her head pressed down until she relaxes a bit, to show her that you're the boss and she can't get away with biting you. If in a week she's still just as bad (or heaven forbid, worse), you'll probably need to think about spaying as soon as you possibly can.

Latest posts

Back