Peanuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
I always throw unsalted peanuts to the crows and squirrels and as soon as I do my 4 bunnies go crazy trying to get at the nuts. I am guilty of giving them one or two every few days now and have read most of the literature on rabbits eating peanuts and there seems to be no definite opinion.
This started a few weeks back and they seem normal as far as eating and pooping is concerned. They get lots of hay and some vegetables plus about a quarter cup of Martin's pellets daily.
Am I harming the rabbits with the nuts? My late rabbit used to go crazy for green grapes but again I could never get an opinion on them. I know they are not good for dogs.

Nuts are bad for rabbits because they are very high in fats, not because they are toxic to buns. So treat them like a deep-fried bacon-wrapped cheese porkchop for bunnies, you can get away with one or two a week but definitely the less, the healthier!

OK. No more peanuts! How about Cheerios or barley biscuits? My guys don't get any treats but hay, some pellets, some greens and a carrot.

You may scroll down to the bottom portion of this article for some good info on treats, cereals, etc.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

It is best to limit carrots to about a 1" slice (or one baby carrot) per day at most. Carrots are high in sugar and can be treated more like a fruit where rabbits are concerned.

Thank you for the link. I have known her for a couple of years. When I said carrot it is about an inch sliced in half daily. 90% of their diet is hay but it is hard to get fresh hay in winter. I am hoping to finally get some this weekend. They also get parsley, cilantro, Romaine lettuce and a sliver of apple. Their pellet intake is less than 1/4 cup daily. Their weight has stayed constant over the last four years.
I once read that feeding a rabbit pellets only is a lazy person's way. ironically my first rabbit would not eat hay and survived on pellets, sliced carrot and a bit of banana. He ate lots of pellets and he lived to over 13 years of age.
I know HRS advocates keeping a rabbit indoors which is a nice idea. But its not easy when you have a bunch and little room. My rabbits spend nights in their hutches in a barn and daytime when someone is here they are outside in large enclosed pens. Weather permitting they are outdoors at least 8 hours per day.

My rabbits have to be indoors since we live in the desert. Average temps from May thru September will be 95F - 120F!

When I got my first rabbits (about 25 years ago) they encouraged shelled peanuts for a snack, as well as oatmeal, and cheerios. My rabbits loved all that! But I guess they've been learning more about rabbit care over the years. I think some rabbits seem to have iron stomachs. Awhile back, I was on this forum concerning a rabbit that was brought into a pet store - 5 years old - and had only been fed dry dog food its whole life!

I can appreciate that. I was at a sanctuary in Texas and the rabbits live outdoors and it was well over 100F. At noon they were almost all in burrows.
You have to wonder about their stomachs and what they can eat. I know too many greens can give them gas and it was interesting to read about the dog food.

Latest posts

Back