Food/Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went to PetSmart today and looked up different foods and I found some bedding I want you guys to see. I also have to check Petco and my local pet store where I am getting my bun from, So far I have found:

Oxbow Adult Rabbit Food for $14.99
National Geographic Rabbit Entree $12.99
Kaytee Fortified Hay Diet $11.99
Timothy Fiber Diet $17.99
Kaytee Soft Granule Blend $18.00

Bedding
All things scatterless small pet bedding $18.99
Kaytee Clean and Cozy small bet bedding $17.99
Advanced oder control premium soft small pet bedding $31.99

What do you guys use as a betting also what do you guys think of these prices or know were else to get them?

What do you guys use for litter?

I use for bedding newspaper on the bottom, with pine shavings on top. But that is just for an outdoor cage. Also, for the prices, try amazon.
Hope this helps.

What about for an indoor rabbit where I live temperatures can get very hot and very cold. I want it to be an indoor rabbit.

For pellets, I do like Oxbow and my rabbits do well on it. If you only have 1 or 2 rabbits, the cost really isn't that much and a 10 pound bag will last a couple months.

For bedding, I use fleece blankets in the cage and wood pellets in the litter box. Petsmart does have wood pellet cat litter, but you could also try a hardware store for wood stove pellets or a feed/farm store for horse stall pellets. They are cheaper that stuff at a pet store and 1 bag should last quite a while with 1 bun. Yesterday's News or other paper pellets are also good, but a bit more expensive. The unscented cat stuff is cheaper than the small animal stuff and pretty much exactly the same (the size of the pellets might be a bit different, but that is it).

If you are going to litter train your rabbit, you don't need bedding on the cage floor. You can just put some sort of rabbit-safe litter in the litter box. Most rabbits don't need anything to lie on, but some people use fleece blankets for a "bed." The least expensive litter is the wood pellets or horse stall pellets. If you can't find those you can use recycled paper litter. I personally don't like wood shavings because they stick to the rabbit's fur and get dragged all over. I vote for the Oxbow Adult Rabbit food.:D

What if I get the bun when it is little? Can I still feed it Oxbow Adult rabbit food? Also what is a good rabbit safe litter to get and what website is good to go shopping at. The breeder I might get my bun from feeds the babies Young Sweet Meadow pellets with Timothy hay is this good?

Also I plan on getting a Large Dog crate for the the bund habitat should I keep it with the plastic underneath?? Or should I put something soft down and if so what should i put?

Oxbow has a juvenile version for rabbits under 6-7 months of age. So you could use that. I couldn't find any nutritional facts on the Sweet Meadows.
If you decide to use a different brand from what your new bun is used to, you'll just need to transition slowly from the old to the new. Just use the pellets you get from wherever you get your rabbit as the transition pellets. I explain that a bit more on my site if you'd like to take a peek there.

If you don't want to look for wood pellets as others have suggested (I use them too), then I would recommend Yesterdays News unscented litter or some other pelleted paper litter for in the litter box. No other bedding in the rest of the cage until potty training is complete.

binkybunny.com has supplies

I used the Sweet Meadow blend pellets when my bunnies were younger and the ingredients are similar to Oxbow. I now use the adult formula which is all Timothy. My rabbits have done well with it and have really nice coats. You must be in Massachusetts, right? I recommended Oxbow from your list, but if you can get Sweet Meadow where you live, it is very similar to Oxbow as far as ingredients and costs a little less.

As far as the dog crate, they come with a plastic bottom and I know people always feel like they need to make it soft for the bunny, but really they often prefer just the plastic floor. I have given my rabbits different kinds of soft beds and fleece blankets and they just want to lie on the plastic floor. In the summer when it's hot I put ceramic tiles down because it helps keep them cool.

Last edited:
Back