HELP!! Humping and bullying problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinibunny

Reaction score
Both my bunnys are female sisters and grew up together i adopted them when they where a couple months old they both are about 6 or 7 months old now.

So my bunny Oreo's personality changed about a month ago we didnt know why she would be super skittish if we came near and hide in her hideout she would also scratch me continuasly with her back legs (which by the way where razor sharp ow!! ) and was attempting to nibble at me gently in a bite attempt! Me and my husband where growing very worried about her because her sister seemed fine she would let us pick us up and cuddle with her while oreo would have an anxiety attack and be breathing heavily and sometimes make noises at us than normal. We didnt know what to do so we tried doing some solo sessions away from her beloved sister Caramel. It was getting to a point where she wasnt drinking very much or eating and even would have pee accidents. I began putting her on my husbands work desk while he worked and i would sit with her bringing her fresh water and treats and letting her watch us or bringing her on our huge couch to see we arnt horrible people as she explored it she slept most of the time but the solo sessions worked!! Oreo began to drink again while i watched was eating and she let me pick her up without scratching my hands to a point where i had to put her down. She seemed happier without Caramel her sister and didnt have any bathroom issues on the couch or anywhere we put her when she was solo. So we observed her with caramel and noticed Caramel would steal her food out of her mouth claim all the toys oreo claimed with her chin and Oreo had to run off with her food to a corner to eat it while caramel chased her and snacked on her food. Caramel also constantly trys to hump oreo!! She wont stop and it occurs all day when oreo is trying to sleep caramel will just go on top of her and hump her or when she is eating drinking ect... Caramel was the problem for oreo changing her personaility and im not sure what to do about it??

Right now the two bunnies are seperated (i just seperated them today) they had a two floor apartment but i put each bunny on one floor Oreo seemed a bit happier she could sleep and eat she even started grooming us today licking our hands and arms and wanting to cuddle. Thing is i think oreo loves caramel its just Caramel wont let her live! she wont let her drink eat or sleep its a constant chase of mating.

I want them to stay together do you think spaying is the only option? Caramel has a small stuffed animal she can hump but she isnt intrested in it should i get a bigger one? Is this hormornal stage only because of summer or will it keep occuring if i dont spay her?

Thanks so much!!! i really need a reply im not sure what to do. i really just want both sisters to be happy at this rate oreo will turn aggressive if we dont do something about it.

IMG_20140419_150822.jpg

Heres a picture of there cage i took the stairs out and each bun is on one floor i know its not big atm but this is the better option atm till i can figure out what to do.

I can't see the picture, but it sounds hormonal to me, and it may or may not get better without spaying. If you spay one then you should get the other spayed, too.

I can't see the picture, but it sounds hormonal to me, and it may or may not get better without spaying. If you spay one then you should get the other spayed, too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13011238/IMG_20140419_150822.jpg

Heres a link to the picture its a bit old but its the same cage hope it works.

And yeah i figured it was hormonal for her to do that. But oreo has no signs of hormone issues just Caramel. So spaying is the best option? is there anything i can do in the meantime or should i keep seprating them.

Also thank you for your reply i appreciate it!

Though there can never be a guarantee that spaying will fix the issue, it's likely it will help and is your best chance at being able to bond your two girls and keep them together. It sounds like you will at least need to get Caramel spayed, though if you can it would be best to get both girls spayed. In the meantime you should keep them separate. You can try letting them be together for playtime, unless Caramel is too hormonal and keeps humping Oreo, and it seems to make Oreo withdrawn and depressed, Then it will be best to keep them separated until one or both can be spayed. Then you will probably need to give it several weeks for the hormones to die down. It can vary with each bun, so just see how Caramel does with Oreo after she has had at least 2 weeks to recover from the spay.

Otherwise not getting them spayed means you will probably have to keep them separate as it sounds like the hormonal aggression displayed by your one girl is causing Oreo to be more nervous and depressed.

Though there can never be a guarantee that spaying will fix the issue, it's likely it will help and is your best chance at being able to bond your two girls and keep them together. It sounds like you will at least need to get Caramel spayed, though if you can it would be best to get both girls spayed. In the meantime you should keep them separate. You can try letting them be together for playtime, unless Caramel is too hormonal and keeps humping Oreo, and it seems to make Oreo withdrawn and depressed, Then it will be best to keep them separated until one or both can be spayed. Then you will probably need to give it several weeks for the hormones to die down. It can vary with each bun, so just see how Caramel does with Oreo after she has had at least 2 weeks to recover from the spay.

Otherwise not getting them spayed means you will probably have to keep them separate as it sounds like the hormonal aggression displayed by your one girl is causing Oreo to be more nervous and depressed.

Thanks for the reply! it really helped i will get caramel spayed my husband suggested to get anti hormonal shots he said they do that to cats im not sure if thats safe for buns but i guess its an option too. Caramel and Oreo had playtime together Oreo didnt seem thrilled about it too much as Caramel was on her never ending chase.

Thanks once again! really helped me out ill update on this issue i hope it fixes soon going to check out the vet in a bit right now i want to get some more things for them because they are in seprate places in their cage.

Latest posts

Back