Are My Bunnies Happy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
I have four 4 year old bunnies. Two live together and have bonded well. The other two live apart except when outdoors. I have 3 indoor hutches about 2x2x4 feet. Outdoors I have two runs. One is 8x8 for the bonded pair and the second is about 6x10 for the other two. There is bad blood between two rabbits hence the two outdoor pens. They seem happy inside and the hutches are cleaned daily
If the weather is very bad and at night or if I am away the bunnies live indoors. Otherwise they are outside for at least 8 hours a day. I have some plastic milk crates and plastic pipes for them to use plus a couple of balls.
Unfortunately the floor of their outdoor runs is now earth but I cover most of it with hay until it rains.
The bunnies are healthy but not very active. The graze a lot on the hay and explore but not much else. I just worry if they are happy with that arrangement. I know it could be a lot worse but I'd like to make it better especially something for the ground cover. The dirt gets very dry and dusty. I would love to find an alternative to the hay covering the indoor hutch floors as well. The two who are bonded are not litter box trained. I have looked for sea grass matts and cannot find them despite my plea on this forum. I have a fleece mat for one and its fine.
Any comments or ideas would be welcomed.

They sound happy to me, it sounds like you've got a really good set-up. I'm not sure what you could do for the floor covering though.

I guess my concern is that unlike my late bunny these rabbits do not like to be held or petted. I carry them from the indoor hutch to the outdoor and they almost struggle to get free. The only time I can actually pet them and talk to them is when they are in their indoor hutches. We are at level then.
When outdoors they are often left to their own devices. I am sometimes busy in the house or shop. The outdoor pens are very secure and I am not concerned about them getting in trouble.
I think that because my relationship with them is different to my former bunny who was literally beside me constantly.
As an aside if you want an excellent cover for an outdoor pen I found used commercial fish net. The holes are about a half inch square, it is not too heavy and will support lots of weight. Unless you have a knife you can never cut it. And it was inexpensive.

Your buns seem pretty normal to me. Most buns don't like to be held. Your relationship with them will develop over time.

Oh. If you spend a lot of one-on-one time with them almost every day, they might get better.

I had the same experience with mine. My first bunbun was full of the desire to be held. My new ones are just starting to warm up to me after months.

I would like to spend more time. I do talk to them frequently during the day and when I put them to bed at night. They do not live in my house so once they are locked up for the night I don't see them until morning. They play outside and only when I am around. They see me doing my chores around the house.
I guess I was expecting more because as stated earlier my late bunny was literally glued to me. He lived indoors and sat under my chair while at my desk or beside me on the sofa when I watched TV.

Latest posts

Back