Going to the vet for a wellness exam...do rabbits need shots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
I used to live in WA where we had a great vet but we moved to ND recently and the receptionist asked about shots..which concerned me as I thought rabbits in the U.S didnt need shots (and Buster is an only bunny at our house, no other rabbits). So I'm thinking as a receptionist maybe she didn't know this. Or maybe I'm wrong.

I have an indoor house bunny who is the only pet and does not have shots. My vet said she didn't need them because she stays inside and away from other pets.

In the US I don't believe the vaccines for rabbits are even commercially available. If it's a clinic that also sees other domestic species there's a good chance the receptionist just doesn't know (but it may be worth mentioning during or after your visit if you're otherwise pleased with your vet). Dates of the last vaccines are one of the things that general practitioners need when you're switching clinics so that's an understandable question to ask a new client.

I used to live in WA where we had a great vet but we moved to ND recently and the receptionist asked about shots..which concerned me as I thought rabbits in the U.S didnt need shots (and Buster is an only bunny at our house, no other rabbits). So I'm thinking as a receptionist maybe she didn't know this. Or maybe I'm wrong.

If she's inside and not running around in areas common for other pets then she will be fine without shots; however, if she's running around on the same surfaces as dogs, cats, mice, rats, or in entry ways nibbling on grass that was stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe or was tracked in somehow then it would be a good idea to get shots done by a small animal vet.

It's a precaution against viruses that could infect the bun's intestines, eyes and also some influenza viruses which I had no clue are transmissible.

Last edited:
If she's inside and not running around in areas common for other pets then she will be fine without shots; however, if she's running around on the same surfaces as dogs, cats, mice, rats, or in entry ways nibbling on grass that was stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe or was tracked in somehow then it would be a good idea to get shots done by a small animal vet.

It's a precaution against viruses that could infect the bun's intestines, eyes and also some influenza viruses which I had no clue are transmissible.

What shots are you talking about? There are no routine vaccinations available for rabbits in the US. The only rabbit vaccination out there is a pasteurella vaccination, and it is mostly still in the introduction phase and isn't normally available or given by vets at this time.

What shots are you talking about? There are no routine vaccinations available for rabbits in the US. The only rabbit vaccination out there is a pasteurella vaccination, and it is mostly still in the introduction phase and isn't normally available or given by vets at this time.

I take that back and sincerest apologies. I, after reading your comment, talked with my local vet and even though there have been outbreaks of diseases with vaccines abroad there's nothing available in the USA.

Here are the ones to look out for:

Myxomatosis- The virus is commonly confused with Pasteurella. Outbreaks in California, no vaccine available.

Rabbit Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (VHD). Outbreaks in the Midwest in this century (2000-). No vaccines available.

Rabies - Nothing approved for rabbits so keeping them away from anything that could carry fleas and ticks is advised.

:hiding:

As for the influenza viruses, nothing available yet. I know this from personal experience because I contracted the flu since my kits were kindled. I had to stay away from handling my rabbits in case it was transmissible. That was hard.

I was under the impression that there were shots available but the FDA... haha urgh.

Once again my apologies. :(

Last edited:
I take that back and sincerest apologies. I, after reading your comment, talked with my local vet and even though there have been outbreaks of diseases with vaccines abroad there's nothing available in the USA.

Here are the ones to look out for:

Myxomatosis- The virus is commonly confused with Pasteurella. Outbreaks in California, no vaccine available.

Rabbit Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (VHD). Outbreaks in the Midwest in this century (2000-). No vaccines available.

Rabies - Nothing approved for rabbits so keeping them away from anything that could carry fleas and ticks is advised.

:hiding:

As for the influenza viruses, nothing available yet. I know this from personal experience because I contracted the flu since my kits were kindled. I had to stay away from handling my rabbits in case it was transmissible. That was hard.

I was under the impression that there were shots available but the FDA... haha urgh.

Once again my apologies. :(

I just remembered that you're in ND. It is possible they have a VHD vaccine up there since there were outbreaks in the Midwest. I would ask the receptionist again what she is talking about specifically.

(

Rabies is very uncommon in rabbits; it's believed they simply aren't a good host for the virus. That said, rabies is not transmitted via fleas and ticks but by direct contact with saliva or (in rare cases) neurological tissue.

Latest posts

Back