8 week old bunny eating problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi

Reaction score
I got a Netherland dwarf rabbit, she is around eight weeks old now (born May 9). She has been in our home for six days now and she doesn't seem to be eating as her food is barely touched. For the first two days she was eating and drinking fine and had to have her bowl refilled several times in the day but for the last four days I have not had to refill her dish, and her hay is untouched completely.

She has just started to move around her new cage and not hide all the time near her water bottle, in litter box or in her woven editable house, to help her get use to me I have been talking softly to her, reach in letting her sniff me as well as lightly nudge her like another rabbit would to but she has not been responsive. She is in an area where there is traffic but not to noisy area.

I had to pick her up today to clean her cage and all she did in my arms (hind legs and front all properly supported) was shake as if she was having a seizure and I noticed she was much thinner then she was when I first got her so I put her back in did a spot cleaning and left her be. This is my first rabbit so I am not sure what to do.

I would move her cage to a very quite area, and not mess with her too much, besides feeding, and minimize cleaning as much as possible. Also don't pick her up for now, if you don't have to. You can also try a small amount of treats. Normally I wouldn't recommned feeding treats to a baby bunny, but in a situation like this it is sometimes needed to help a rabbit adjust to it's new home. So maybe try a less sugary treat like a tiny piece of carrot, or a few pieces of rolled oats. Some rabbits respond really well to treats. If she doesn't, try to just leave her alone as much as you can, but also you need to check in on her to make sure she is eating, drinking and pooping. You could also try covering most of the cage with a towel and just leave the front uncovered, so that she feels more safe. If she stops eating and pooping, you'll need to take her to the vet so she doesn't develop a blockage.

Thank you for the Advice. But could her issues be caused by lack of sleep ( I know rabbits are active at dawn and dusk, sleeping the majority of the day)? As today is the first time I seen her sleep during the day and for her to do this I had to pick her up and put her in her den once I did she immediately dug to make a hole in the bedding and then laid down and is sound asleep.

she's a bunny who is not eating/drinking. She is too young to even have one day of letting her be to see if she'll pick up or not.

She needs to be under VET care ASAP or you will lose her.

She is very much an unwell bunny and needs care immediately.

how are her poops are they dry or moist and plump? Little pineapple juice in her water will encourage her to drink (is she use to a water bottle). Did the seller/breeder give you starter food or is this new brand. Is she eating hay / greens everyone has different feeding style. Check her cage she my be eating bedding or something else in it.(my house rabbit was eating wall paper and dog food even though he had free choice hay, pellets, and greens.) Little chamomile fresh or dried sprinkled on her food might get her eating again help calm her nerves. Take your time with her sit there and read a book.

that salient points'

around eight weeks old now
six days now
doesn't seem to be eating as her food
last four days I have not had to refill her dish, and her hay is untouched completely.
was shake as if she was having a seizure
she was much thinner then she was when I first got her

Age + not eating + weight loss = DO NOT MESS around. Get her under care immediately OR you will lose her fairly quickly. That she is still alive after four days is amazing. BUT please, don't mess around, get her under care.

Ok here is a update. I got a vet in to check her as a home visit but sadly there was nothing he could do for her. It is figured she was either ill when we got her as she was never a curious bunny or the stress of her relocation but she passed quietly this afternoon. Thanks for the help everyone.

We're so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately it does happen no matter how we strive. I was going to recommend that you get some alfalfa hay--it is high in protein and calcium and I never met a bunny that wouldn't eat it. It does sound like there was some problem there as it only took all of ours a couple of days at the most to start being pesty and most were that way as soon as they were brought home. Also, the first thing I do with a new bunny is take them for a well check with our vet.

Thanks everyone. Even the vet was surprised how fast she went. But sadly, she was the smallest of her siblings not as plump with the lack of healthy bunny behavior, and the vet on farther examination after the fact thinks she may of had bunny anorexia which could of went unnoticed in a breeder setting with the number of baby bunnies the breeder I got her from had.

I'm sorry for your loss, baby bunnies go downhill very fast and its hard to help them! I hope that your next bun will be healthier! I would also contact the breeder to let them know what happened x

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened.

Eight weeks is very young for bunnies to transition to a new home. More outgoing babies often do very well, and I usually let them go as soon as the new owner is ready for them. But shy or quiet babies stay with me another couple of weeks.

Did the breeder give you a baggie of the rabbit's food to help her transition to her new food? If not, the problem could have been as simple as digestive upset over a sudden change in food. Or, it may have just been the stress of a new home and new environment. That is especially likely if she was still living with her siblings at the time.

I hope that you'll contact the breeder about this. Most people would be willing to replace the bunny. It sounds like you did everything you could to help her and will be a great bunny parent. :)

I did contact the breeder she says the bunny was fine with her and that one of my children (who never got to touch the bunny)must of petted the bunny too much or dropped her.
But when we went to pick up the bunny she showed up at the address with the bunny type and color we wanted in the front seat of her van and from there we then went in to the garage where she had the two other adult dwarfs in a 1'x1' wire cages with nothing but water and food. The young ones she brought in the van was set down where one decided to go sniffing around and the second (the one we picked) refused to even move. She gave us a small zip lock of her food, and we put our bunny who acted as if she did not know what to do with the space she had in the travel carrier (same with the cage at home) it was a five hour trip back home during that time we made sure she had food water. But even as days past with her in her new home she lacked any interest in exploration we asked the breeder on this two days in to our bunny adventure was told she needed time and well you know the rest.

We're so sorry for your loss. I wouldn't trust that breeder as far as I could throw her van left handed. It sounded to us like there was something wrong to begin with and she was in a hurry to get rid of you. Baby bunnies that have been socialized and properly cared for are usually curious and will move around quite a bit--that yours wasn't should have been a warning sign. I always tell everyone to rescue a bunny which is what we do. They are older and have an established personality so you know what you're in for, mostly. Plus they are usually sexed and neutered. Most breeders are great and have a love for their bunnies, but it sounds like you found the "apple that spoils the rest of the barrel".

that sounds alot like the breeder has something to hide. you must always ask to see the babies with their mother (unless over 10 weeks when they will be seperated to avoid oops litters). Both parents should be around and most good breeders will let you health check the parents and the babies. The fact they were brought over from the van also shows she has something to hide. Unfortionatly baby buns are very vunerable to illness and rabbits can hide illness or discomfort very well so it takes a while before it shows :( I'm sorry for your loss. Rescue bunnies are a great option too as they are usually spayed/neutered (saves ALOT of money) and most are rehomed because someones moved house or cannot afford a bun anymore so they dont all have behavioural issues. If your heart is set on a baby though be sure to pick a breeder who is experianced and encourages you to come over before you take the bunnies home.

Latest posts

Back