New bunny owner: Brushing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

June

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm still new in terms of owning a rabbit. (Have had him for three and a half weeks). I've heard that rabbits need to be brushed or combed regularly, and am wondering if that is true. If so, what kind of brush should I buy, where would I get one, (pet store? Amazon?) and how often should I be brushing the little guy? As well, do you brush the entire body? (Head, ears, feet?)

Love him to pieces, and so I just want to make sure that I'm covering all the bases!

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

It really depends on your rabbits coat type :)

I have Mini Lops and use a soft bristle brush and a comb designed for humans. I also wet my hand and rub them as that helps to remove loose hair.

I know that a few people here recommend rubber pet brushes. I have never used one myself, but from what I've heard, they work well and I would recommended trying one.

Hope I helped :)

It really depends on your rabbits coat type :)

I have Mini Lops and use a soft bristle brush and a comb designed for humans. I also wet my hand and rub them as that helps to remove loose hair.

I know that a few people here recommend rubber pet brushes. I have never used one myself, but from what I've heard, they work well and I would recommended trying one.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for your response! I just ordered the following brush. I hope it's okay for rabbits! It seemed to get a good review!

(Will try to post picture of it to follow....)

Can't post a picture of the brush, but it has rubber bristles. In reading about brushes online, it appeared that a rubber bristled brush was preferable....?

Rubber is great because it tends to catch and hold onto any loose hair. I use a HairBuster comb and it works wonders, especially on my mini lop.

I use my fingers, or a very fine tooth comb if the bunny is up to it (I have three. Lol). Usually, it's a rabbit hair pluck-fest extravaganza, and we're both covered in rabbit hair. *shrugs* you know what they say, to understand the rabbit, you must be the rabbit. ^_^

Thanks SO MUCH to all who have responded!

As a new bunny owner, you all and this website are a Godsend! I will definitely renew my subscription to this message board, as there are so many knowledgeable people here, and all of whom are so helpful! It's a relief to know that there is somewhere that a new rabbit owner can go in order to get reliable, expert information!

Am just wondering: Since Sisyphus is a newly acquired pet, would you all recommend or advise that I take him to my vet for a "New Pet Checkup?" I checked with the vet's office yesterday, and because a rabbit is considered an "Exotic Pet" an initial checkup would not be cheap. (And I'm unemployed...) However, if you all think it's a good idea, I will gladly go to the expense!

By all accounts he appears healthy, happy, and has clearly made a well adjustment to both me and being here over these past three and a half weeks. I seriously doubt he has any health issues, but am wondering what you all think....Should I go to the expense of having him looked over by my vet (who does treat/know, and has a rabbit herself!) just so I am sure that I have covered all the bases? My feeling is that an appointment would serve as more of an "educational" one for me, in hearing whatever my vet might advise about having a rabbit, than it would be a "health related" appointment for Sisyphus, LOL! --Thoughts?

Again, thanks in advance for any replies! You guys are TERRIFIC! :)

I did comb him with a fine toothed comb yesterday, thinking it would be better than nothing, until I acquired a brush for rabbits. (Which I ordered from Amazon this morning). Sisyphus does not have long hair, and in combing him I didn't notice any hair dislodging....So I don't know whether it was of any use in combing him or not! (Help? Is combing him with a fine toothed comb effective?)

SO much to learn....!!!

Thanks again in advance!!! :)

Congratulations first of all on the new member of your family!
You could try just using your hand after you've run it under water, I have found that that method does a stellar job!(my bun hated the combs/brushes so this was the alternative)
What kind of rabbit is it???
I think the appointment wouldn't hurt but you may want to wait until you are at the financial place to do so if you aren't having concerns regarding the bun!

Congratulations first of all on the new member of your family!
You could try just using your hand after you've run it under water, I have found that that method does a stellar job!(my bun hated the combs/brushes so this was the alternative)
What kind of rabbit is it???
I think the appointment wouldn't hurt but you may want to wait until you are at the financial place to do so if you aren't having concerns regarding the bun!

I actually don't know what kind of rabbit he is! I've decided to spend the money for a vet visit; am sure my vet will be able to tell me what kind of rabbit he is. He has short hair, and doesn't shed. When I combed him yesterday, no hair came off....

He is so very sweet, and puts his front paws up on the pen when I enter the room after having been away. I think he is greeting me, but can't tell for sure...But we are getting along fine, and I truly am attached to him, and love the little guy! So glad I got him!!! :)

Thanks for your response! You guys are great! :)

Congrats on your new bunny :3 I just recently rescued my first bunny. One of the first things I did was take him to the vet to be checked out (I found him outside and had no idea how long he had been out on his own). Taking him to the vet helped *me* feel more at ease about his health, but the vet really didn't have anything to do with him. He picked Lucky up, ran a hand over him, checked his teeth and ears. He said Lucky looked pretty good, was alert and there was really no reason to bring him in right now. I'm new to rabbits as well, and I wasn't sure if rabbits needed shots or flea meds or what... so I personally felt better taking him in to get a once over. The vet did so little with Lucky, that he didn't even charge me for coming in. He said that I only really need to bring Lucky back to get neutered, and if there are ever any clear signs of illness or behavior that is very out of the ordinary.

As for brushing them... Lucky doesn't like sitting still to be brushed all over, but he doesn't mind me giving him lots of pets all over. He doesn't shed much, but what he does shed seems to get knocked off when I'm petting him. I haven't tried the wet hand method yet though... I'll have to give that a try.

Congrats on your new bunny :3 I just recently rescued my first bunny. One of the first things I did was take him to the vet to be checked out (I found him outside and had no idea how long he had been out on his own). Taking him to the vet helped *me* feel more at ease about his health, but the vet really didn't have anything to do with him. He picked Lucky up, ran a hand over him, checked his teeth and ears. He said Lucky looked pretty good, was alert and there was really no reason to bring him in right now. I'm new to rabbits as well, and I wasn't sure if rabbits needed shots or flea meds or what... so I personally felt better taking him in to get a once over. The vet did so little with Lucky, that he didn't even charge me for coming in. He said that I only really need to bring Lucky back to get neutered, and if there are ever any clear signs of illness or behavior that is very out of the ordinary.

As for brushing them... Lucky doesn't like sitting still to be brushed all over, but he doesn't mind me giving him lots of pets all over. He doesn't shed much, but what he does shed seems to get knocked off when I'm petting him. I haven't tried the wet hand method yet though... I'll have to give that a try.

Did make a vet appointment, more for ME than the bunny!

The brush I ordered did arrive, and he doesn't seem to mind being brushed, but no hair appears in the brush after combing him. Perhaps he just isn't shedding? He has short hair, so it may be a case where there just isn't any hair to dislodge and come off when brushing or combing him! Will give the "wet hands method" a try and see what comes of that! Thanks so much for your response!!!! :)

i use a baby/toddler brush,its very gentle on them and does the job. im a bit wary of using stronger brushes on them as they wont tolerate them as much.

Did make a vet appointment, more for ME than the bunny!

I'm so glad you decided to make an appointment, I always recommend that you people take new pets to the vet. Not only does it give you peace of mind that your rabbit is happy and healthy, it also gets your rabbit's info entered at the vet's office (which is beneficial in case of an emergency, no need to fill out forms etc) and you get a baseline for his condition. So that in 6 months time, if you need to go back because you're worried about something, the vet can compare his weight, see if he's put on too much, lost too much etc. It's a good thing all around :)

i didn't read though all the replies but...

i have tried many things with my mini lop. she has a really thick coat from originally being an outdoor bun. she has a "skirt" of loose skin above her tail that really is hard to brush out and gets really "packy" when the fur can't shed out. i used to use a slicker brush, and it got some fur out but slickers are more for untangling fur, not de-shedding. then i bought a furminator, and i went crazy with it. but then i found that those were a little controversial because they might break or pluck the hair out. as a dog groomer, i bought a "Zoom-Groom" by KONG. its is great and it takes loose hair out like a charm, but doesn't pull hair out like the furminator. it is the only tool i use on her (and a comb) and it works wonders. along with that i bring my bun to work every month or so and use one of the force dryers (not heated of course) on a very low setting and i blow the loose coat out. works 100 times better than any tool, and in the end the room looks like you de-shedded a husky! it is harmless and since the air separates the fur, you can examine the skin (at a level in which even the vets can't do!). now, my bun is used to this, but I'm NOT saying to bring your bun to a groomer!! it is just not safe. i work at this salon and i am the one blowing the coat out at a low setting of air coming out. again, i really recommend the zoom-groom, i have used both the large and small one on my bun :)

Last edited:
My dutch dwarf has a seriously thick coat but has always been indoor even prior to us adopting him. I have a hair dryer with cool shot and use it on him when he seriously malts.....end up with a furry kitchen area! I can also really see the condition of the skin. He doesnt get distressed in fact he will fact face into the air, tip his head back, close his eyes and purrs. After he binkys madly round the flat. I think the loose hair makes him itchy.

My dutch dwarf has a seriously thick coat but has always been indoor even prior to us adopting him. I have a hair dryer with cool shot and use it on him when he seriously malts.....end up with a furry kitchen area! I can also really see the condition of the skin. He doesnt get distressed in fact he will fact face into the air, tip his head back, close his eyes and purrs. After he binkys madly round the flat. I think the loose hair makes him itchy.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back